1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lettered trailer parked at my residence?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Feb 5, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

There has been a discussion here the last week or so about trailers and lettering them. I have all but decided to letter mine. A business owner friend of mine and I were discussing it and he wondered if having a lettered trailer parked at my residence would cause complaints from neighbors. I have off street parking but the trailer is visible from the road. I have had the enclosed trailer for several years with no complaints but I wonder if lettering it would make a difference. I am sure there are some type of zoning regs about commericial vehicles in residential areas here. I guess a call to the county zoning office might be a good start.

Any one have any thoughts or experiences to share?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

call the town or city you live in. There are different laws everywhere. Here it just has to be at least 20 feet from the street.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

What would be the difference in parking a lettered truck or a lettered trailer. Same difference to me. I say no problem go for it. What about a guy who drives a van for a company all painted and lettred up who brings it home. I say don't worry about it. No one is going to harass you about it. They will understand it is your business and you don't have a shop.
    Just my $0.01 not good enough to be $0.02
    Show us pictures once lettered
  4. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

It will depend on the Covenants from your Homeowners Association. Many do not allow such parking. Check yours if you live in a control community.
  5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

it all depends if your neighborhood is deed restricted ,meaning no commercial vehicals on property . if no name or phone numbers are on trailer or on the truck it is personal ,once you put company name or phone numbers on it, it becomes commercial . each sub-division has there own rules ,need to check with the county
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with the city or county, I have seen some areas that people have to use magnetic signs so they can remove them while the vehicle is parked at their residence.
  7. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I know placing the call may save some headaches down the road but this reminds me of the time I called some years ago to ask about bow hunting in the city limits where I live. I knew that you could not discharge a firearm in the city limits but at the time I called bow hunting had not been addressed. Two months after my call an ordinance was passed that made it illegal to discharge anything that delivered a projectile. Since a city police officer lives right behind me this put a stop to shooting my bow in my backyard and now even made a slingshot illegal.
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Ditto. :) :)
  9. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

is your truck registered as a commercial vehicle? if not then there is no problem. even if so since it is your source of employment, is parked on your property, and is owned by you then there should be no problem even if it is registered commercially. its not like you parking a semi with a 53' foot trailer in front of your home. sure you might not want to make the neighbors mad, but in the end who pays your bills? im sure they dont so who cares what they think they can get over it.
  10. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to check your local ordances. For example in our comunity you can only have one letter vechical on your property. also i know in our community that you can not store your trailer or other equipment in your drive way, or where it can be seen. These are all local ordances. As far as homeowners associations go, they do not have a huge say in this aspect. It is all local code they have no athority to inforce rules of this type. they would have to resort to local code. homeowners associations can not trump local code.