Lettering on Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mklawnman, Mar 27, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Well I got the truck, and now plan on either putting the lettering on the door or putting it on my new sides I'm going to make on the dumper part, they will be 3ft tall, either painted green or black not certain yet, but thought of putting the vinyl on like a plywood piece that would have my name along with a design or something. The previous landscaper had a logo on both doors, but it looked small, but look professional.

gmc truck r.jpg

2. Not a bad truck...

Might I suggest on that Omaha Standard bulkhead I think is 42" tall you make 42" side. Trust me you won't be sorry, and it should only cost a few dollars more to go from 36" to 42".

Make them the hight of the bulkhead.

I have a buddy with a similar truck, he put the phone number on the fenders.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, at least I don't live in a place who's only claim to fame is gateway to somewhere else. What's up with that?
    Crawdad

PS he ain't a beagle

4. LMAO nope....

5. mklawnman

As far as those sides, you really think it will make a big difference if i would ad those extra 7" to the sides that i can get more mulch, topsoil in there?? I can see when i would need those sides say for hauling brush or leaves, but I dont have a blower to suck all of the leaves up to fill it up, have to use a tarp. But on the mulch side of things, i've never had a problem of mulch blowing out of the trailer, plus its the weight which really matters, the GVWR is 15,000lbs, so its a ton and a quarter truck. Might end up putting a plow on it for plowing in the winter, even though its 2wd, just gotta make sure I have plenty of weight in the back.

Lettering- What do you mean about putting the lettering on the fender? Put my name on the door, and put my number over the fender area up front?
    Matt

6. mudnthundr

mudnthundr LawnSite Member

Only bad thing about a plow on those trucks is that there's no ground clearance in the front. I have a 2000 1 ton and everytime I hit a dip my plow frame hit the ground. Ended up putting taller springs on it. No problem now.

7. Put the name and stuff on door. Phone number on the fender above the tire.

This way it is not low, it will be at or above eye level for other cars to see.

Also it stands out more on the fender and easy to catch at a glance.

8. You wont be pulling a tarp over the sides anyways....

9. mklawnman

I get what you mean about the lettering LGF, I've seen it a few times on other trucks as well, you realy think it would be a better place than on the sides of the dumper?
    Hey mudnthundr you have a HD or just a regular 3500?? Cause they do make the suspensions in the front with the A-arms, mine has leaf springs on the front, and from the picture almost looks like a 4x4 cause it sits higher than a regular 3500. I would think that their is enough ground clearance for a plow frame, cause i've seen it done, and I would also think it depends on the manufature too??
    Matt

10. mudnthundr

mudnthundr LawnSite Member

Mine is just a 3500. I don't think they had started building the HD's when I got my truck a few years ago (2000). There is plenty of room for a plow hitch, it's just that after you put the plow on it rides alot lower due to weight and wants to scrape when you hit soem of the bigger dips or when your backing up a steeper driveway. They push snow nicely though, and pull like nothings back there. That's just my plow truck though....so it's parked now for the summer.