Lettering on Trucks, Pro or Con

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

I've talked to a couple of other guys here about their decision to add their logo and phone # to the doors of their trucks. About half say it's great to have, good advertising. The other half say NEVER letter your truck, it invites fake lawsuits. I dunno. What do you'all think?

Mike

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I think that it looks more professional in my opinion. Plus if you keep your truck nice and clean it looks like a nice shiny billboard....

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think it goes about 50/50. Some see the lettering as good advertising, others see it as a bother because they are not looking to pick up new customers.

Personally I think it depends on the area you live in.

Where we live, a good portion of the people do not have any lettering. Taking a closer inspection upon them, they do not appear to look very professional. Messy appearances, beat up trucks, junky equipment thrown in their bed of their trucks, etc. Those type of people we feel might not even be on the books. We did NOT want to look like them.
    These types of people are in our area.

The real competition did have their trucks lettered, and that's what we did too. We feel we set ourselves apart from the pack.

Jodi

[Edited by 1MajorTom on 02-02-2001 at 11:05 AM]

4. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

lettering: I've had my truck lettered for about two years now i can't say anyones came up to me and said i saw your truck the other day and i want you to do this job for me. but i do think its a suttle way to get your name out its something everyone sees. setting at a stop light people look at the back of your truck. So i chose to have most of the lettering on the back. with small lettering by the mirrors.
    hope this helps.

jarrett morgan
    countryscape

5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Might I recommendt a door magnet?. I paid $39.95 for 2 10X18 Two color magnets for a a sign I designed myself. Shipped in 2 days. Most I found on the internet were $55 plus. Honestly I really could not believe the service given the quality abd speed. Link is
    http://www.amagneticsign.com/form.htm

6. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I had lettering on my trucks when starting out. Now none, it's good for residential work. We do mostly commercial now, feel it would be a liability, invisiable rocks ect. hitting cars ect. I supposedly also got in I think three accidents last year, funny when I asked for a description of the truck, I don't own that year or color.
    I resent the fact that some of you think it looks un-professional, or that if your trucks aren't letter they must be hunks of junk. For the record I have a 99 K3500, toting a matching 2000 indigo blue 20' enclosed pace shadow.

7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I'm looking at it from an advertising standpoint here. Mike that 20' trailer all lettered up would be like a big billboard rolling down the road. Not to say that you are not a professional but I think it "looks" more professional with a truck lettered. From experience, to me it seems that if you have lettered trucks then you appear in the public eyes as being a professional. Not an ordinary Joe who hooks up his trailer to his everyday driving truck and goes and cuts some grass...

Magnets are also an option...

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

OUCH--------------THAT HURT!

9. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

IMO Perception means something to many, but not all. I also feel that the truck & trailer is the most cost efficient form of advertising you will find. Basically comes down to the bottom line, If you don't have the number of customers you need/want then take a look at the operation and do something to improve it. Make yourself more marketable. Liability is part of the business. I pay my insurance and sleep well without the fears of Mr & Mrs Lawsuit.

10. Might be a good idea to check with your local police or the registry of motor vehicles. Around here commercial vehicles are required by law to have a minimum of business name and phone number on both sides of the vehicle.