Lettering trucks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, May 5, 2013.

1. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Im just not much on having all the company stuff on the trucks or equipment. We dont have anything to hide but just dont see the need to plaster the company name all over stuff. The only thing that the company name is on is the dump truck and thats because the DOT requires it.

2. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Chris. Sometimes too much info is a bad thing. I look at it like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Can you elaborate on that? Wolves ride in lettered trucks? I don't get it

4. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Per Wikipedia:
    Wolf in sheep's clothing is an idiom of Biblical origin. It is used of those playing a role contrary to their real character, with whom contact is dangerous.

I'll leave it at that. I had a whole thing typed out, but no one wants to read my theories on con-men and shady people.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I know what the saying means, just not how it's applied to the topic.
    It's a valid theory if others subscribe to it. I'm always trying to think how customers perceive my business.

6. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

We only have the roll off lettered because it is required by the mto (dot) . Really depends on the type of work you are going after . We work for a group of general contractors and for government agencies, so no real need to advertise . Mabee in the next few years I will allocate some money to lettering equipment but for now no need to.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Liberty Lawnworks

Liberty Lawnworks LawnSite Member

Rolling around in a truck/trailer combo pretty much screams "I don't pay taxes and I don't have insurance." What legitimate consumer service business doesn't have at least their name on their vehicles?

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I am not really understanding what your saying. But I am insured and pay taxes. And I've decided against lettering my trucks. Until I have a truck that is required by dot to be lettered.

9. JNB Construction

JNB Construction LawnSite Senior Member

I work for a lot of ranch / landowners and homeowners. I have my truck lettered with my business name, tel. # and my website along with a few of my key services. I've gotten plenty of calls from folks passing by and jotting down my info off of my truck, since they can see that I'm busy and don't want to interrupt. I like to make money and support my family, so I advertise anywhere I can.

Edit: Marketing guys say it takes 7-10 times of someone seeing your name / ad for it to register. How many jobs are you not getting a chance to get by not having your name on there at all?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure why you would not sign your vehicles and equipment. I cant hope to list the number of contacts and jobs I have gotten over the last 20 years because people saw my name on the trucks and equipment. I got a job last week because I put a sign on a job site after we had left.

I think if you don't sign your stuff you are loosing out on the opportunity to create brand recognition. Its huge. You do good work, don't you want customers and the competition to see who is doing it? All the time I hear, "You guys are busy I see your trucks all over". I have two pickups, a 5500 and dump truck. Certainly not a large fleet. Yet when you name is on the side of them, people see your name and the more they see it the more they remember it.