Lettering trucks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, May 5, 2013.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Mine does not.

2. AWJ Services

from Ga

Good points and I agree. I do work for several companies as a sub and they like that I do not have my name on my truck. Not sure what there telling their customers but it's what they want.

3. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

All the class 8 trucks and f550 size yes, pick ups and 1 tons no. Sometimes a nice small lettering job on a pickup tailgate or the extended cab looks good but I think a lot of the time they end up overdone and look hack-ish

4. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

One negative is that you get more salesman's calling trying to sell you stuff. Maybe you are more high profile than low profile. Could be bad depending on who is watching. Other than that I see no down side to lettering every thing.

We do mostly commercial for GC's or as the prime contractor and still see no reason why you would not want other GC;s , suppliers, Competition etc to see you are busy with work.

I have our name on everything and know it has done more good than bad. Look around at the very successful companies in your area and most are color matched and lettered.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that the level to which you sign your stuff varies and what looks good is highly subjective. However some customers, both contractors and homeowners feel better in doing work from a company that they recognize. The more your stuff is seen around town the more legitimate your perceived. The easier and more likely future work becomes.

If your customers don't want you to sign you equipment, I guess that's what you do on their job. Personally I would sign my stuff and cover it when I am on their jobs. You can get magnetized vinyl that matches your paint.

6. Liberty Lawnworks

Liberty Lawnworks LawnSite Member

Around here, it's almost entirely the illegal operations (no service vendor's license, i.e. not paying taxes and definitely not insured) that are running the trucks with no signs. I know that a few of them are actual one-crew operations with a decent number of legitimate accounts, but they do a ton of work on the side for cash and therefore do not want to attract attention. I have a friend who used to pay a certain company cash for spring and fall cleanups. It's amazing how cities let these clowns stay in business. If you opened any other sort of door-to-door service business and didn't pay your municipal taxes (which you obviously aren't paying if you're not paying your federal, state, FICA, self-employment, etc.), you would be fined and shut down in no time.

7. BCboy

BCboy LawnSite Member

I agree.
    You need your company name and phone number.

Some of the best trucks have simple or very basic info/graphics. With that said a wrapped truck can look great, but expensive if you're just starting out.

My cargo trailer has full signage.

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

Paying municapal taxes is the last thing I want too do. They do nothing for any buisness.

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

:drinkup: I'm thinking the same thing...

I'm running pirate as well. Part of it is my trucks are for sale on and off and don't want to peel off graphics. The other is honestly I just don't care any more, my work comes from people for know me or refer me.

10. Liberty Lawnworks

Liberty Lawnworks LawnSite Member

Trust me, I don't like paying them either, but if the retail corner store has to pay them, then I have to as well if I am selling services in the community. While I agree that many municipal governments are bloated, our tax dollars pay for public safety as well as the roads that we drive our vehicles on in order to get to our job sites.