Letters to Potential Customers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by andersonmowing23, Apr 9, 2005.

1. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

I was wondering how well direct mail works. I am not planning on doing the typical direct mail tho. I tried that last year and got just above 2% response rate, which isn't that bad for me atleast. What I plan to do is to write a brief letter to potential customers, have an estimate already enclosed with the letter that introduces myself and possibly even a contract and see how well this works. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and what has been your response rate. I would think it would improve the normal 1-3% response rate from flyers/door hangers.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure not gonna sign a contract that comes thru the mail in a form letter from a person I have never seen or talked to.And as a buisness owner I I'm sure not gonna send out est's for jobs I have never seen and clients I have never talked to.Simple as that

3. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

Guess I should have explained myself, I agree with the contract, I have keep a list of all the customers I have ever done buisness with weather it be just a one time mulch job or I mowed for them for a year or even a seasonal clean up, I was gonna send them all letters and give them an estimate for mowing since I know the yard and have all the prices and just raise them accordingly depending on how long ago it was, hope this kinda clears it up.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had decent succes with direct mailings in the past. I don't always enclose an estimat; usually, I say something to the extent of "please contact me anytime to set up an appointment for a free estimate" Also, I agree with sheshovel, sending a contract in the mail seems to pushy.

5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't put an estimate in with the letter. That could be trouble before you ever get your foot in the door to make a good first impression.

I would just stick to a letter of intent to bid/service their property. JMO

6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sending a block of wood stamped with " What do I have to hit you with for you to use my company " 3 inches long .
    2 weeks latter , I send another one that's 5 inches long .
    To new home owners only , so far

7. premiereman

premiereman LawnSite Member

just put out flyers in the area that you would like to mow in .Target an area and be diligent in your efforts to grow in that area. therm people see you in that area and the calls will cone in. Work it hard brother in that area.

8. SCW

SCW LawnSite Member

A great thing to do is develop a monthly newsletter (or even quarterly) that you send to all your existing customers (incl w/ the bill) and then also send out to customers in your database that you've done 1 time jobs for. This works great for us - it always prompts some of them to call and get more work done, or sign up lawn service. People really seem to like newsletters.

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi andersonmowing23,

Very often we will see on here that your success rate goes up as you meet personally with people while you hand your flyers out. That seems to be the best way to sell your services.

10. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Even with low rates of return once you're in an area you want to work often time other jobs are generated simply by being there.