Letters...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ParksLandscaping, Nov 28, 2000.

1. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have been working on a database of commercial accounts with the names of the people in charge, and their address. I am trying to come up with a letter to send to them to inquire about their outdoor maintenance. I am wondering if anyone has tried this before, and if so, how well did it work, and second if some of you would not mind sharing the letters, so that I can write mine. Thanks for the help in advance.

You can e-mail me at "Parkslandscaping@aol.com"

Thanks,
    David Parks
    ..."Your GRASS is my CASH!!!"

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

You will be more effective putting your face in front of their face than a form letter.

If you want to do a lot of commercial work, you need to have personality.

3. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planning on writing some letters to people I know in maintence depts.

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Lazer, call up the company ask who's in charge of building maintenance. Then ask them when is a good time to meet with how about wensday of next week (you want to attempt to make a apointment yourself by adding that it will get you noticed faster) then meet with them walk around grounds mention some ideas you may have and sell-sell-sell your company. Be positive about yourself and your company and how they we be pleased with your service. Remember you gotta sell your company and yourself so make sure you are direct and clear in your answers and questions. P/S make up a who are we cover letter on your own company letter head telling who and what your company is. If your not sure i can email you one off site. Just email me through my web site for a copy.

5. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I too go into the places I want and ask who to speak with. I have had some calls with letters but I feel more at ease knowing that what I had to say got to the right guy. (S)He will also remember my face if they have any questions.

6. I usually try and make a phone call and find out who's in charge of facilities. Try to talk to that person, but get there name, fax and address.

Fax and introductory letter with your company profile page. Hard copy follows it in the mail. Call and follow up, ask for the contact, ask for 5 minutes of his time at personal on site visit.

Try and develope a relationship that may lead to business proposal, but stay in touch on a consistent regular basis.

I highly reccommend using a contact management software such as ACT ! or Goldmine. It works great for sales/marketing and customer service efforts as well. I have been using ACT ! for 8 years and love it. A firend uses Goldmine and is very happy with it also.

Unsolicitated letters usually hit the round file real fast. Got to make personal contact, phone first, then face to face. Dress well, act professional don't appear overly anxious for the business, but interested and comptent.

Good Luck.

7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We always try to meet with the customer face to face. That always gives you a read on the person, plus you can sell yourself better in person.

But if you have to send letters , make sure that you follow up with a phone call.

8. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Call------------ Find out who's in charge of landscaping.
    Go-------------- Be brief and professional.
    After----------- As soon as you get finished, Follow up with a thank you note.
    If nothing happens.
    One year later-- Send a letter telling them your still interested.

If they drag you in on your first visit asking what kind of great deal
    Your going to give them. Run as fast as you can.

9. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

This months Landscape Management has an article on Cold Call's on page 30. I havn't read it all, but it has some good pointer's to someone who's not used to making them.

PLS

10. Make sure you measure the site on the first contact.

I take just four different measurements

1. Lin ft of curbs, fences, buildings to be edges or trimmed.

2. 21" mowing

3. 52" mowing and 62" mowing if a big site.

4. Sq. footage of landscape beds.

Then I just use a in house form I have developed with my production rates for every service I perform and scratch with a PEN my costs then add desired gross profit markup for total sell price.

I took a one day class on Landscape Maintenace: Estimating and Bidding for PROFIT at the Great Valley Campus of Penn State quite a few years ago.

The cost was $25 with coffee and donuts plus a lite lunch included.

The estimate they had us work on was so high you could never get much in the market I live in. Money must be falling from the trees in SE Penna.