letting a customer go

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, May 28, 2008.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I have a very "tight pocketed" customer who has been with me since the beginning. He has given me 4 -5 properties to cut. Every so often he wants to change from weekly to 10 days(complains about a price increase) or whines about the trash(picked up at cutting and not in between) and spraying the beds(done when there weather permitting). I tell him I will be glad to go inbetween cuttings for an additional charge but get no response.

most recently the weekly property was cut weekly for 45 and he said to go up to 10 days. So i charged him 55 cause the grass was much higher. He sent a note with the bill questioning the extra charge. Was he thinking I would cutt it every 10 days for 45? I must be stupid.

So a little long winded but I'm trying to think about letting him go, but on nice terms. How do you guys do it? Anyone have a nice form letter I could look at?

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

try and explain to him first. if tht doesnt work jus politly tell him, he needs to find sumone else to maintain his property

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I Had a customer that was a high payer, We were making about 125.00 an hour.
    weekly cut. it took about an hour....

I hated to dump her, But she would call and wanted to talk about this and that 3 to 4 times a week...

I just couldn't get her off the phone... So that Good pay turned out to be NOT so good.

I finley had to cut her loose, Because of to many phone calls.

Good luck

4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

5 yards from one customer and a customer from the beginning.

If the grass is long go over it quickly if it looks like crap, leave it like that and tell him it's growing too quickly and has to be done weekly at least for the spring. I wouldn't spend extra time there for no extra money. I'd try and keep that customer depending how busy you are.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That's a decison you will have to make. If you have more work than you want you may let him go, if he has gotten you more customers in the past I may think twice. All of us in the service sector have to put up with this too some extent. What extent your are willing to put up with this is up to you. I let plenty go and keep some that are a pain sometimes because they pay well and on time. You will probably never have perfect customers. I have some that complained because I got some grass under the cooking grill cover when I was blowing it off. He made a big deal of it, but I just smiled and said it won't happen again and now he is one of my best and never complains.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

youre kidding right

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I would keep him, even at 10 days on 5 propertys is 15 cuts at 45 thats 665$ per month.
    Use his propertys as "fill" time, you may need a stronger mower

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I had a customer almost exactly like yours, maybe they are brothers,lol. He was a decent enough guy but every spring and fall he bitched and questioned the bills. He had us cutting 3 properties all of which were just shy of being a slum yard. He tried to get us to cut it every 3 weeks!!!:hammerhead: This year he finally spent some money on one of his properties (a whoppin' 200 bucks) and complained it looked ok but not great. To make a long story short he called me and canceled services because we forgot him the first week of mowing and he was pissed because he left his phyco dog tied up for 3-4 hours. But it was like some one lifted a weight off my chest! It made room for 2 nicer properties that pay a few bucks more a week. He got some sucker to do it and one of the prop's. is a good acre if not pushing 2, and from what I saw he did it with a 21 incher!:laugh::laugh:

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Yeah seriously! I'll chit chat for a few minutes to a good customer any day!

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

there come a point though. Its one thing to stop in the middle of the day and shoot the breeze, while you have guys sitting in the truck watching the cash register "Kaching" every minute, and its another to get the phone calls at night...

If its a client who calls up 3-4 times a week to talk about nothing...it gets frustrating. Don't ge me wrong, I have no problems holding the customers hand and making sure they feel all arm and fuzzy inside, but there are days when the last thing you want to hear is some nonsensical blabbering....