Letting Some Customers Go

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RICHIE K, Feb 26, 2005.

1. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

? FOR YOU, I HAVE A FEW CUSTOMERS THAT I WANT TO GET RID OF (RE.: TO FAR AWAY AND SOME ARE SLOW PAYERS.) I JUST WANT TO STAY LOCAL PLUS I GOT A FEW MORE COMMERCIAL ACCTS. ANY IDEAS OF WHAT TO SAY TO THEM ? :help:

THANKS,

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them you are restructing, it's no lie. If you know somebody you can recommend that helps too.

Option 2. Significant Price increases. :realmad:

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dear mrs jones, we are discontinuing your service for the following reason: downsizing. we apreciate your business over the years, thank you

4. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Just be honest with them. " I will no longer be able to take care of your lawn this year because........." Just explain that there house is out of your way or something like that. Then refer them to a reliable source and thank them for being good customers. Another option, just make a significance price increase, if they say they wont want you anymore, job well done by you. If they agree to pay this, the job is now worth it to you. hope this helps, let me know how it worked out for u.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

#1 thing is to leave on a good note...don't burn any bridges behind ya.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that bobby summed it up in a nut shell

7. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

What ever u do don't piss them off get a bad name the best policy is to be honest!

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

No you can't always be honest. There'd be too many letters that stated, "You're the (pick one: pickiest, cheapest, slowest paying) a**hole I've ever met in my life. I have a competitor who I dislike and I'm referring you to him."

9. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I agree u can't alway's be honest but in this case why not he is saying that it's to far out of his way so alittle lye and alittle bull never hurt lol :rolleyes:

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Be honest and tell them that you are reducing the size of the area that you service for efficiency reasons. It's hard to dump a PITA though if they are located near one of the customers you intend to keep. Those types I just raise the rent until they say uncle!