level "b" service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 6, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ever think of offering a "level B " service? not everyone wants a class A service, some people just want the grass cut. the level "B" service would be: weekly mowing, front yard weedwacked one time per month, back yard weedwacked 3 times per season. no edging. absolutely no bagging. one pass only with mower, regardless. no picking up or blowing off of debris on driveway or walkway (other than the clippings). it would be an in and out service, it would look like cr@p, but there are people who will pay for crap. this service could be charged at $18-$20.

2. rigidone

rigidone LawnSite Member

How would you market it?

3. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

THought about it, but then decided that I don't want to be associated with a crappy lawn. I have a house which I mow and it looks great when I'm done. The neighbor has some schmuck do her lawn half ashed like that and it looks horrible. Just wouldn't feel right to pull away from a job done like that. In fact I had a friend say don't you take care of that lawn, it looks like s***. I said no I do the neighbors lawn. So just having my truck parked next door associated me with that lawn. No thanks!

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Bobby.... I'm shocked! Are you suggesting trying "Larry's Lawn-care" services on yourself?

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, dig this: one time me and my friend went fishing. there was a sign out in front of a deli, "pork roll and cheese sandwich, 99 CENTS." we pulled in, i ordered a porkroll and cheese sandwich. out came this thick, beautiful looking sandwich. WOW i thought to myself. the chinese lady goes, "that be $2.79." I said, "the sign says 99 cent." she said, " OHHHHH, YOU WANT THE SPECIAL...." as she quickly snatches away my sandwich, and comes back with this sorry lookin sandwich, one slice of dried up porkroll, and a sliver of cheese. i said, "what is THAT?" she said, " THAT, is what u get for 99 cent." my buddy laughed, and paid the $2.79 for the better sandwich.so, how would i market it? simple, put a huge add in the newspaper: ABSOLUTELY DOWN RIGHT CHEAP PRICES!!!! CALL TODAY AND SAVE!!!!!!! now, you will get a million phone calls. you explain that the level "B" service is this, and the level "A" service is this. i bet you sell a ton of both level A and B service contracts.

6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

level b no thank you, its my name on the truck parked out front ,not wal-mart or some third world lawn care company ,as said before neighbors come out and say who cut that lawn ,they say xyz cut it ,there response ,remind me never to call them

7. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about this one, most of the time in caring for a yard is allready done in 'level b' service, driving to the job, unloading trailer, etc.
    It doesn't take much more time to do the job like a professional and not let the neighbors think that that's how bobbygedd lawn service does things.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

yea but, you'll have enough customers, that they will clearly see that you can do great, or crap, whatever they prefer.

9. rigidone

rigidone LawnSite Member

Hmmm, I supose it depends on the area. I'm a part timer with a good game plan looking for 10-15 high end lawns and performing quality work weekly. You have to do what you have to do. :)

10. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah but if thats what they want then why can't they just ask the kid down the street to do it. I think you just open a big can of worms if you don't do it perfectly. I think it's actually easier to do it right than it is to do it wrong. After doing something the right way and you try to cheat and cut corners you find yourself doing on all your lawns. Customers ask if this or that will be done, I usually tell them that it's easier for me to do it the right way than it is the wrong.