Level of owner involvement?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jerryt1126, Jun 30, 2004.

1. jerryt1126

jerryt1126 LawnSite Member

I've read the archives and didn't see this before, so I apologize if this has already been answered. My question is what experiences you've had in being an owner that isn't involved in the actual mowing, etc. I have a full time job and want to start something that I can move into once I'm making a strong income. I assume there are companies that have started with the owner just getting the accounts and handling the business without actually mowing. Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I don't have any personal experience or no of anyone who has done this. I am sure it could be done if you don't mind a small profit margin. very small..................

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Its hard enough finding good help if your going to be on site and can watch them but if you plan on not being there you just made that 10 times worse. When I do a job its the best it can come out and its in a time efficent manor. When I let one of my guys do it for me despite him having 11 years in the trade it comes out no where near as well and the times always suck. If your not there to correct this it will bleed you dry.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Actually the LCO I first worked for was owned by 2 guys who had government jobs. They basically started it on the weekends for some extra income and that first winter stumbled across a temp at their day job who agreed to work for them that spring. So it was me and the other guy, and we were doing 85-90 yards a week. But from what I've seen since then, that's the rare exception to the rule.

I've known 2 other guys who started companies while in high school, and let other people run them when they went off to college. In both cases the businesses suffered badly.

Its a risky way to go, even if your job is flexible enough to where you can come and go to check on you guys.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi jerryt1126,

I am sure it is possible but I think Kelly's Landscaping really did a great job in pointing out what you have to be aware of.

6. TheGardener

TheGardener LawnSite Member

Read the book "e-myth". Look for good hardworking kids(don't take their word for it) and pay them well right from the getgo with incentives. ie: $8 hr plus $2 hr payed monthly for reaching goals that they help set, like finishing on time w/ good quality, equals $10 hr.
    Good luck