level out lawn ? (evening it out)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikefromny, Feb 20, 2006.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

how many people get asked to even out a lawn whether its from a tree that was tehre that made the ground uneven or whatever , and what do you do to make it even and what to charge (per foot, per job , whatever) any HELPful 411 would be appreciated
  2. UtahGrassBust

UtahGrassBust LawnSite Member

I'd usually charge $40 an hour to "landscape" plus materials (soil)
  3. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Utah, you should mark up your materials too.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I am lucky that we work year around here and scalp the lawns down twice a year and have an opportunity to level out the lawn. We do it in the fall to overseed our winter lawn with rye and in the spring I do it again to kill off the rye and give my summer turf a jump on all the sunshine. I usually topdress in the fall I like to use a potting mix of clay and compost 50/50 so it is more like the original soil. Many will say use sand, and I will admit sand is easier but it is a different soil and you get different water holding capacity and fertilizer too. So in the summer the lawn may look spotty unless you are watering like mad. I just shovel the mix around the low spots and then use a drag mat to "level" it out. I am not looking so much for level as I am smooth transition so I can mow low (3/8") and not scalp. As far as cost goes its an hourly thing. I always bill T&M for that kind of thing, Yes I am spoiled.