Leveling a dixie chopper deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Feb 6, 2004.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We purchased a used 60 in Dixie Chopper. It is about 5 years old, Kohler 22, 1200 hrs, Rebuilt at 600 due to manu. defect.

The deck is way off kilter. Not bent. None of the three stabilizer bolts are in the manual suggested holes.
    We are still in the process of leveling it, and have had much greif.

Please post any tips for ajusting it side to side and front to back.

We have put a 1/2 in spacer around the center discharge side bolt. This seems to level it side to side.

2. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

On dixie chopper mowers, the front of the deck should be slightly lower than the back. Make sure you do the side adjustments on level ground and have the proper air pressure in all the tires.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is from the esteemed Eric Elm.

==============================================

Adjusting the deck on the Dixie Chopper is very easy. First of all, put the machine on the flatest place you can find. This is usually on a concrete garage floor. Make sure you have all the tires at the correct air pressure. Turn the blades so they are front to back and measure from the floor to the bottom of the blade in the front and the back. The Blades should be ΒΌ" lower in the front than the back. If not, look at the picture below and you will see the 2 chains that come down to the bolts on the deck. The bolts have a nut on top and bottom of the metal of the deck that the bolt goes through. If the deck needs to come up, loosen the top nut and turn the bottom nut up until you have the correct pitch. I count the amount of turns it takes to adjust one side and then do the other side the same.

If the front needs to come down, do it the opposite of what I said above.

Now turn the blades from side to side and then measure to see if the left and right side are the same distance from the floor. You also have two more chains on the back of the deck you can adjust if you need to. Adjust accordingly for what you need. If the left side is a bit low, bring both the front and back up just a bit. A full turn of the bolt will move a side up or down quite a bit.

I would of went out and taken some close up pictures, but it is 5 degrees out.

dixie.jpg

4. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

Here's a pic showing the adjusting bolts Richard was talking about.

103-0348_img (2).jpg

5. Dixiedude

Dixiedude LawnSite Member

Hey guys I'm new to this page, I just recently bought a Dixie chopper Silver eagle LT2500 50'cut. It cuts really good but the deck doesn't look right. The front of it is higher than the back. The manual says set the deck down to 3 inches then line the blades from front to back then measure the tip on the front then on the back. How in the world do you measure it with the deck in the way? Is there a better solution to leveling it without sticking a tape measure inside of the deck? You can measure it on the side of the shoot, but not on the other side. I need some help on this
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  6. hayboy

hayboy LawnSite Member

I have a JD gauge that reaches under the deck to measure, cost about 10$ best I remember. Someone can post you a pic.

7. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not familiar w/DC's but if there are 2 places on top of the deck that are the same on both sides, you can lay something like a straight 2x4 (long enough to stick out in both the front and rear) on top of each side of the deck and then measure from the floor up to the 2x to set your pitch.

Then you can do the same going side to side....which obviously should be the same distance from the floor (unlike the front/rear measurements).

You just have to make sure the places on top of the deck are the same distance from the floor.

PS A 4' level will work even better because the corners of a 2x4 are rounded meaning you have to make sure you're using the top or bottom (and not the rounded corner) to measure.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

You have springer forks

Set it on 3'' mark and inline the blades front to back and use a impact socket its 3'' tall

9. Dixiedude

Dixiedude LawnSite Member

Sounds good, thanks alot!! Are you familiar with the adjustment on a DC
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have adjusted a few over the years been riding them since 1985 Mostly the Classic models