Leveling A Mower Deck......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Pawn, May 6, 2008.

1. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Always check and keep my decks level side to side... and up till now have always kept the nose low about 1/4". As Scag recommends keeping LEVEL front to back I have set them up this way now. One Scag TC, one JD 48 WB, one JD 445 AWS. Do not really notice much difference? What have you guys found? Or am I just goofy to even worry about 1/4". Thanks!

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I guess I am goofier than you , mine are set no more than 1/8 inch pitch.

3. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Someone wizer than me plz correct me if I'm wrong:

I believe that you get better performance when cutting by tilting 1/4 lower in front. Why? Why not level? Why not tilt back instead of forward?

As the mower advances the leading edge of the blade does most of the cutting. As the blade swings around to the rear of the deck it continues cutting the pieces removed from the leading edge as well as cutting a very few tall bits missed from the leading edge. You get the best blade speed.

Should the deck be level, the rear pass will continue to cut as well as drag on precut grass tops, especially with a lifting blade. This puts more strain on the engine and may slow blade speed. The precut pieces also are being chopped during this back pass and may interfere during the cut as they bounce along the grass tops, again slowing the blades and possibly getting in the way of the cutting edge.

If the deck is tilted back the blade is cutting during the entire revolution, plus cutting up the pieces. The pieces get in the way, blade speed is sacraficed and a generally very crappy cut can occur.

That's all I have to say about that...