Leveling Bumpy Lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jondcoleman, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

I have a potential client who would like to get all of the bumps out of his lawn. It used to be a farm and he has a fairly nice lawn now but it is way to bumpy for him and it really bothers him when mowing. He mentioned something about a Harley Rake. Could someone please get me started on what would be needed to level out the lawn? Thanks!

Jon

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A harley rake will do it along with some hand raking, but you will have no lawn left! Sounds to me like you need some sand/compost mix to spread. Aerate and spread this mixture...you may want to rent a topdressing machine and a Dingo with bucket to speed up the process.

3. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

I have had a few of these due to snow plow damage. Bumpy and sandy. I have removed as much sand as possible, used my classen slice seeder set deep to level it out, and then added compost.

One lawn though had an area so bad that it couldnt even be mowed, and I just removed it and installed new grass. It was a small area.

Leroy

4. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Chris,

Are you saying to Harley rake it first then spread the compost and seed?

Thanks for the replies!

Jon

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Harley rake only if you want to destroy what lawn you have now. Apply sand/compost without the harley rake...the harley rake will remove all grass!