leveling this area?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Feb 6, 2007.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

need to level a 40X20 area...the walkway is the mid point...its currently at about a 5 ft grade...

1) should i just cut into the top and bring dirt down?...or bring in dirt to bring the bottom up?

2) will retaining walls be needed?...and how will the drainage be affected by the leveling needing a gravel base?

2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

If you cut the top down and re-locate to the bottom area, then you might need a wall up top. You will surely need to grade away from the building, but are you planning on packing a load of soil against what looks like a brick building from the pic??

Are you taking the tree out or are you going to pile all that right side leveling on top of the roots??

Looks like it fits the road grade now---if you cut the top side, you better talk with the town guys before you undermine the raodside. The city usually owns so many ft from the centerline---in short, you might be working on public land---its against the town laws in my town to do this. Also, you'd be changing the overall grade by about 5 ft....this requires city approval where I am..not sure about your area. Whats up hill from there---- will the neighbors house slide downhill when you excavate that top area and a rainstorm shows up before you add a wall??

The building looks like an elementary school. :confused:

Hope you're getting a load of cash for this one.

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Can't see the right side of the picture or the left side behind the house BUT from what I can see, if it was mine, I would cut out the left side so it drains away from the house and put in a retaining wall of some sort to delineate the two areas. Without seeing more, that is just my dart throw....

4. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Build two walls, one at the top and one at the bottom, doing a cut and fill scenario. That way there's a minimum of walls at either end, and you can utilize the soil you dig from the top (if it's any good). Of course, check your local permits office and get an engineered plan together if needed.

5. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

If you fill the lower setion it will most likely kill the tree

6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious - why does it need to be leveled ? So long as the grade is pitched away from the building there shouldn't be a drainage issue . If you have to level it from side to side , it will require a retaining wall at each end and you will have to box in the tree or cut it down . If you box it in the base of the tree will be below grade and you will need drainage ( like a french drain ) to keep water from standing at the base . And freddiec is right - the right-of-way is probably well into the yard. Looks like a big project to me.

7. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

It looks to me like the tree's on grade with the walkway, so you shouldn't have to box it in if the walkway's gonna be your final grade. Just build your lower wall slightly lower than the walkway height for drainage, and you should be ok.