1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leveling uneven lawn spots

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by IMAGE, May 2, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Whats the best way to level low spots in yards?

Say the yard is pretty nice, but has a couple spots that are maybe 3-5' diameter, and are 2-3" lower then the rest of the yard. Should I just put black dirt in these spots and let the grass below grow up? Maybe toss alittle seed in it to? Or do I have to dig up the grass below and then add black dirt and reseed?

Thanks guys!

2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

i'm coming across this problem alot. What I do is fill in the low spots with compost, and reseed. make sure the compost is less than a 1/4" in depth over the areas that currently have grass.

3. IMAGE

from midwest

The whole area has grass, so do you mean to only add 1/4" at a time? Just slowly bringing it up?

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

No. what i mean is take your low spots and fill them in.

If there are two low spots, and in between them a healthy tuft of grass, when you're filling the the low spots make sure the healthy grass isn't covered more than 1/4"--because depending on the type of grass covering the healthy spots with more than a 1/4" could be harmful.

5. IMAGE

from midwest

Ok sounds good. Thanks!