Lever vs. pistol grip grease guns

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Roger, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have always used a lever action grease gun, until this season. My lever unit seemed so messy to get new cartridges installed, I decided to try a different grease gun. I bought a Lincoln pistol grip and I really like it, changing cartridges is much cleaner than my old one.

However, I believe the amount of grease per shot may be less for the pistol grip than for the lever gun. I have done a bit of experimenting, and also by looking on grease points, I think the volume of grease is less with the pistrol. If I had to put an objective measure, I would say the pistol delivers about 70% as much grease put action than the lever.

Anybody have any experiences or assessments on this matter?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have always use a lever type grease gun. I currently have one of the large catridge type guns and that has worked just fine, also holds alot more grease than those little things.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

So that means you stand a better chance getting 100 % of that 70 % of grease in a Zerk as apposed to trying to hold the hose on a lever pump gun and pump at the same time.
    Been using pistol grips for over 20 yrs, Wouldn't own a lever pump.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Retrorob ... My setup is exactly the opposite. The lever gun has a pipe, the pistol has a hose. Both fit up to the zerk just fine, but I think each stroke delivers different amount of grease per stroke.

5. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

i like the pistol grip for the same reason as restrorob. however, i recently maed a 3 foot hose for my lever gun. it allows me to lay the gun on the floor, or the machine, and hold the hose with the other hand. definately more grease per stroke. and i guess im getting old, but after greasing an 18 wheeler front to back, my hand aches from using the pistol grip....the long hose on the lever gun solves this problem.

6. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

pneumatic, I will never go back

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Same here.

8. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Ohhh noooo ! We're debating hand tools.....Quick , somebody break something.

9. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

lever with a pipe, not a hose. never liked using the hose kind as they can be pretty messy.

10. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I have a pistol grip one that uses the large tubes of grease. It also has a 10" flexible hose at the end for tight spaces.