Leyland Cypress browning 1.5 months after installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by stelon, May 25, 2005.

1. stelon

stelon LawnSite Member

Customer called me this morning and left a message indicating that the Leyland Cypress we installed in mid April is now browning. She wanted to know what to do. A few things come to mind that would cause this. First, the tree may not have been adequately watered. Second, roots damaged upon installation. Third, improper installation. Finally, some type of disease or stress on the tree. The tree is 10-12 ft. tall..Good size. Is there anyway to diagnose the tree and save it?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Pictures would help.

3. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

my guess is lack of costumer watering it

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Check for bagworms also.

5. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

B&B Leylands will crack their root balls just looking at them, most tend to be grown in sandy soil and thwe integrity of the plant is suspect. I like plantiing container leylands for the survivability.

If that top part of the plant is loose in the rootball like an old stickshift, pull it out and plant another.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right that's called "Hung' a condition created by handling the tree by the trunk and sometimes windy conditions without support... the roots pull away from the ball... a tree like this will only survive a short time after planting.In April I would have thought you had good enough rainfall to make up for any lack of watering.I don't know about Georgia.

If it's browning now it won't get better only worse .Go over and check out what's going on with the tree,too deep?too wet?too dry?Hung?

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Howdy, I looked at a similar planting [ done by the home owner], while the ground seemed well watered[ down to 6 inches as per my soil probe the plantings as it turned out were bone dry?......the media around the ball seemed to be a heavy clay........In situations like this we advise the client to add common dish soap around the base of the plantings [ about an oz. per plant]......this will infact help to make the water wetter, on each of the next waterings...... :rolleyes:

8. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

The phobic clay soil is a common problem with B & B's. This is another example of how root washing would have been a great choice. Gently soaking the soil off and planting the washed roots by mudding in with water and native soil would have made sure the roots were hydrated. I've seen clay root balls dry as a bone right under sprinklers. The plants usually die under these conditions.
    Neal

9. stelon

stelon LawnSite Member

I went by and inspected the tree. Tree was planted at proper depth, and we staked the tree. Appears that the soil was damp 4-5" down, and we have had a fairly normal Spring rains for Georgia, so I don't think it's lack of water. I'm thinking that the roots were damaged during transport and upon installation (pulled loose) from the root ball. Likley, I'll be replacing this one.

Typically, I do plant container Leylands as I've had much more success with them. Because the customer wanted the size, we had to go with the B&B..Urgh

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Treedoc might be on the money. Leylands are notourious for being very fragile when someone disturbs their balls. :eek:

Quite serious though.