1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leyland Cypress Install

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ToddS, Nov 27, 2006.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

I have been called by a local school for an estimate to install 8-10 Leyland Cypress's. What is the "going rate" for installation of these. There would be no mulch or pine straw arounf the trees. Just digging the holes and planting them. Thanks in advance.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

For something that simple, I'd probably go double my cost. Maybe x 2.25 my cost.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm paying around $75 to $100 for a 6'-8' b&b tree. We are installing them for $365 each. My quote for this job if it were easy access would be around $2,800 for 8 trees. It would take me about 3 hours to install them with 3 guys in and out.

Remember, don't underprice these... if something happens to the trees you are responsible for them!
  4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Cost times 3.
  5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Todd, be careful planting large Leylands if they are b&B. Leylands have a shallow, fibrous root system that does not like be disturbed. Being an evergreen, they are also still growing at this time of year, especially in your area, so they will need to be watered regularly and possibly stakes. Make sure you include all your costs for this task as well as the price of the plants, your labor and a comfortable profit.

6. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

It's well worth the extra money to plant the container grown leylands. Your local nursery should have a good source like Robinson, Marian Gardens, Cherry Lake...
    You will eliminate the problem of the top heavy leyland breaking the roots in the sandy balls as you handle them during the install.
  7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I fully endorse Treedocs recommendation. I do not plant B&B Leylands unless a client demands them. We can can 6'-7' container grown plants locally and they will double in size in 3-4 years if they are happy.

8. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input!!