leyland cypress install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sicnj, Nov 15, 2007.

1. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

I need to install 30 leyland cypress trees as a hedge around a property. one nursary told me to plant 10ft apart. i just read I should space at 6'. Also how would you price this job out paying $40 per tree @ 6'. Thanks in advance

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

6' isn't enough. They'll grow in no time and start to touch killing parts of the tree. What size are they? Whats the soil like? For a 25 gal LL Cypress we get $55 for the tree ($40 my cost) and in easy dig soil $40 per tree but that also includes staking it up. $2,850 would be my bid on 10' center, maybe for a repeat customer $2,500 but I'd make sure to tell them the discount I was giving.

3. sicnj

customers soil is hard and we are going to bring in top soil to amend this problem the tree is a 6 foot tree not sure how many gallons it is. He is having the trees delivered to his house from a local nursary. He lives 40 min away Also customer is a close friend of mine. Who just finished installing 5 new interior doors at my house.

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

With poor soil we mix up petemoss and fresh topsoil. Petemoss isn't much and it works good. If the soil is that bad I'd rent a small backhoe or mini-ex. Might cost $200 for a day but will allow you to finish the entire job in a day. Are you buying the trees or did he? I've put 25 gals tree's in clay type soil and it can take you 45-60 minutes per treejust to dig the dang hole. When we used a backhoe on a large job for the city it took about 3 minutes to dig the holes.

5. sicnj

i believe he said 10 gallon pots @ 6 ft tall, does that make sense? I will have my skid steer to carry materials to the planting spot (soil and trees). I will be there in the morning to check the soil, and mark the spots for the trees. i told him $600 for the days labor @$20 a tree, but i will make him understand if it takes more work bc we can't ge through the soil he is going to have to buck up. I know its not going to be a great paying job but i will have the possibility of putting $350 after expenses in pocket doing a job for a friend. Note that i will have two helpers with me.

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

I've yet to see a FULL LL Cypress that was 6' in less then a 25g pot. Do you have a auger for the skid. If not you guys will be there 2 days easy maybe 3. I like working for friends but not paying them to let me work.

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Make sure you bury the root ball deep enough.....petemoss and soil conditioner will be a plus as well. We charge $175 per Leyland installed. LeyLands are not all that easy to plant. We pay $40 bucks for 10 to 12 gals, and our charge doesnt include delivery. I will never ever do anymore work for any family (except mom and granny) or friends.

8. sicnj

no attachments yet. just bought the skid and trailer. now im trying recoup some of the money before i buy anything else. Maybe the are counting the pot in that 6' foot estimate. Your right I can not work for free and when I initially gave him the estimate it was for the smaller 2-3' trees. half the work plus i wasn't planning on staking those.

9. sicnj

tj i like that new bobcat you got.

10. sicnj

thanks albery for all the great info.