LGF other Exmark users please look

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I have decided to be a convert and switch my walk-behinds to Exmark (If I like the ECS system).
    I am trying to decide between a 36" Viking or a 36" Turf Tracer HP.
    Can someone answer my questions about these.

1. The specs show that the Turf Tracer HP is actually smaller. Is this possible? I thought the floating deck version would be larger.

2. Are there any problems using a bagger on the Floating deck? Does the deck flex to one side when the bag is full? Sounds like a dumb question but I have never ran a floating deck WB.

3. Can anyone explain the operation of the ECS system?

If the Turf Tracer HP is smaller than the Viking I think its a no brainer to choose the floating deck, but I will wait for your replies before ordering.

Thanks
    Jimbo

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

All my smaller (32-36in) walkbehinds are fixed deck metros and vikings. The ECS is nice because it gets you hands up and over the handles insted of out in the open to hit on a fence or tree. On the bagger. I have a large deck TT and i just put a bagger on it. I have just had a chance to use it on some dry clippings and leaves and the deck didnt move at all........BUT i havent ran any wet stuff through the thing yet.
    Hoped this rushed responce helps........
    -Nick

3. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

The TTHP's have a smaller foot-print than the fixed.

4. Jimbo

Thanks for verifying that the TTHP is indeed smaller (seems strange), and I don't understand why, but I like it that way.

Any comments on how the controls work? I know that this is probably hard to explain.

Looks like I am getting the TTHP, but I need to make sure I will like the controls.

Thanks
    Jimbo

5. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Won't they Demo one to you? I have one and like it. 48in TT w/ECS 17hp. If I had it to do over again the only thing I would change is getting one with Electric Start.

6. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

I just bought a 32" Viking Hydro with ECS two weeks ago. ECS is essentially the same concept to pistol grip control. The ECS has your hands closer together and higher than pistol grips. It took some getting used to, but it wasn't any big deal for me.

7. Jimbo

My dealer is willing to let me demo a "similar" unit in the parking lot. No real world grass cutting. It's pretty ridiculous that I have to buy a $4500.00 machine without being able to test the actual machine I am buying. I have called the 3 closest dealers to my area and its the same bull. None of them have stock on the model I want.
    I also happen to be real busy at this time of year and I wanted opinions/ advice about the ECS before even going to the dealership.

thanks
    Jimbo

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I have a 2002 TTHP 36" w/ECS....SWEET!

Only thing I would like to add to it is a bit of weight on the front. It is very light in the front and will pop a wheelie in a heartbeat.

That's the only complaint I have with it. Otherwise it is a fantastic machine in every respect. Demo it to get a feel for the controls...but if you are familier with any standard pistol grip type controls the transision will be quick.

On a side note:

I let a friend (another full-time LCO) demo mine last fall. He has Carpel Tunnel in his wrists and the traditional pistol-grips on his Scag were giving him big troubles (PAIN) last year. He told me last week that the ECS he now has (exactly like mine) has REALLY helped with his wrist problem...no pain this spring! He told me "Thanks a million for turning me on to the ECS system...it has been worth it's weight in gold!"

Good luck with your decision! :)

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a TTHP 36" and collect grass and just a few lawn. The first couple of mowings was tall, wet fescue and there was not "sagging" of the floating deck. I like mine, although it will take a few hours to master the controls, like any mower.

MATT

10. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

at my dealer the price difference was only like 100-200 dollars between the 2. So i went with the floating deck. Good luck and i love the ECS