LI NY landscapers

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by rnycboa, Jul 27, 2008.

1. rnycboa

rnycboa LawnSite Member

Anyone start a new landscape company on li ny this year.If so how is business?Is there enough work?Thanks.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Been around for a little while, but see ALOT of new startups this year. Think alot of people will be bailing once again after a slow economical season. :)

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I started up this year. Got certified for pesticide apps through the NSLGA and the NYSDEC, bought a Quick and the other stuff, a small trailer, and it's gone pretty well for year one.

I had a background in Horticulture, as it was my sequence in high school thru BOCES, and was always an avid gardener, so I had a starting point.

The things that made it work:

1) Distributing door hangers and making my route tight based on where I advertised.... just door hangers.

2) Knowing something about trees, shrubs and turf going in.

3) Offering full service: mow and blows, fert, pesticide apps, and being able to identify turf, shrub and tree diseases and infestaions.

4) No empolyees. No one doing shoddy work, no one abusing my machines, no workers comp insurance payments.

5) Being able to upsell beyond just mowing... lawn renovations, plant installations, aeration, and most importantly...

6) Customer service: returning calls promptly, doing it better than the other guy, never forgetting what each customer seems most concerned with. I have one that freaks about weeds in the foundation beds. I go the extra mile to keep her happy every week. If I told a crew about that... would they remember, or even care?

7) Thos one sounds silly.... but I keep my front yard looking like a showplace. Since all my work is in town, people notice. Perfect lawn, unusual plantings, always some color even in the winter.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would certainly hope so if they valued their job. We run a tight shift, and have learned to be very diversified. There are not many services that we cannot handle in house.

Without good employees, you are very limited as to how far you can grow your business, and what you can make out of it. It's sort of like running a car with a gallon of fuel. :)

5. Whitey4

I may expand beyond being a solo at some point, but right now, I'm pretty happy with where I am at. It is year one, after all. I aerated 15 houses on Monday by myself. Still did some planting installs, 5 slit seeding jobs and got all my mow and blows done by Thursday before this storm came in. Not too bad for a newbie solo LCO if I say so myself... especially at the age of 53! :weightlifter:

The thread starter asked if anyone started up this year.... I did, and did so successfully.

In answering the starting topic, how did you start up? With employees? With a NYS DEC certification for pesticides? As a kid with a mower?

Glad you have an established company, but maybe you could stay on topic, as opposed to telling me what I'm doing wrong, eh? OK, I don't want to sound defensive, but I've watched other large LCO's with their "crews", and their work is for chit. Yeah, there is lots of room for new LCO's that offer quality service.... ones that won't weed whack pachesandra like it's a freakin hedge! I know I spelt it wrong, but I KNOW how to cut it back!

Way too many LCO's on the Island pick up WAY too many accounts, and it's all they can do to get the mow and blows in. They don't have the time to upsell higher profit stuff like mulching, new plantings, foundation bed renovations, turf repairs, etc. They wait for a call instead.

As a solo, I low pressure sell an awful lot of the "extras", and that is where the profits are. Overgrown foundation beds are a real money maker for me. Transplants, new plants, redesigns... these guys around here aren't doing any of that, they are too busy trying to mow 300 houses in a week. Who is making more money?

6. birdturd9726

birdturd9726 LawnSite Member

im on the island. started up a few years ago.

7. jijlandscape

jijlandscape LawnSite Member

Hello

Looking for some tips on how to price this comm acct.

Its a school about 2 to 3 acers they want front every week and back every other week. Edging in front back just cutting

I figure time for whole thing 2hours?? Any thaughts??

Thanks Jim

8. Whitey4

I don't have but one comm'l account, but Basically I figured how long would it take, and how many typical res'd I could do in the same amount of time. Then I took 5% of the price. This is a church with two houses on it... weekly maintenance was easy to quote, the tilling pruning etc was more difficult.

9. Raking-It-In

Raking-It-In LawnSite Member

all of you long island landscapers who are you using for insurance ? and what are you paying and coverage? want to change companys i just whant to see what else is out there ?? allso where do i go to get my suffolk landscapers lic.. heard a few differnt places was just wondering where you guys got them ?

10. jijlandscape

jijlandscape LawnSite Member

hey heres where I went for ins Utica first there located in patchauge ny
    631-736-7500
    costing around 1100 year

As for the contractors lic get in touch with suffolk county consummer affairs

They will send you and app. will cost you 200.00 filing fee and a two lic fee afee of 500 after you past a test. Hope it helps