1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Liability Claim

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jdjoe_97, Sep 26, 2002.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have a few questions for you all. I have been in this business for 6 years and have always been on the up and up with insurance carring 2 million in coverage.

Here's the deal. I cannot figure out how to keep from the small crap bitting me in the butt. Last year one of my guys was mowing along a road and kicked out a stick that was hidden into on coming traffic. Well this dented a guys hood. Was about $375 in damage, so I turned in the claim. Not a month later, I hit a golf ball through the deck and into a picture window at a residental property. This I felt wasn't really my fault since I could not see the ball to avoid it. I thought it should have went under there homeowners but I filled a claim anyhow. Well yesterday I got a call from a factory said I threw a stone into a passenger side window of a truck. So I went down to the site and where the vehicle had sat it would have been in the line of fire from a area of heavy stones and crap from the jerks that plow this place. (NOT ME).

Starting this year in my commitment letters I stated we are not responsable for damages from foreign objects in the lawn and customers are responsable for damage to our equipment. Well I feel bad for the guys who's window is damaged, but I don't think i should have to file a claim on it. I think the client is at fault. I did contact my liablilty agent and he said I will probably get cancelled if I have 3 claims in 3 years. So what do you guys think, should I turn it in and risk getting cancelled, or pay out of pocket, or wash my hands of it and tell the company its not my problem. Let me know what you would do. Thanks Joe
  2. I guess it depends on how "BAD" you really feel. That is one of the reasons I do not carry insurance. Just to many variables to consider.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am not sure what it cost to repair the windows, but I would consider paying out of pocket. How much is the bill?

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

You dont have insurance?:dizzy: That is definately not the attitude to have. if you mess up and hit somebody or throw an object at a person etc, the other lawyers will have a field day.
  5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

How much is the bill, if it is not a whole lot, i would pay out of pocket since you are in the situation you are in. Yes, you are responsible for the first clain with the car, but i would not have turned in the second claim with the home owner. It is there fault for leaving any objects in the yard. With that being said, i would then be able to turn in this claim that you are now having to pay out of pocket for. I have been know to run over objects such as, but not limited to

-childrens shoes
    -all shorts of play equipment(i mow at a private school)
    -garden tools
    -yada yada yada

I tell my customers that they know when i am coming every week. It is there responsibility to remove their crap from their yard to keep it from being ruined.
  6. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

I am just guessing at the bill to be around $150. I know that's not alot of money. BUT this mowing year has sucked. I have only grossed $370 on this account. My insurance has no deductable and only costs around $270 / year. But pissed me off what the heck is insurance for anyways. Way I figure it if I pay out of pocket I can demand the company to pay me back due to the clause in my letters I send out. But I can just see them saying aahhhh........no. And I lost the account. joe
  7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You have 2 million in coverage for $22.00 per month with no deductable!!!! Can I please have the name of your insurance Co and agent??:D
  8. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

Grinnell Mutual Insurance, it did go up $70 when I added snow plowing, only restrictions is malls and shopping areas. I know that is a great price. Just ticks you off when you use a product you pay for as it is intended and then get threatened with cancellation. Joe
  9. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

They will cancel you because they are lossing money on you. Do the math and think about it from their point of view.
    Insurance really sucks, alot of times it seems that I would be better off without it.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Shop around and think about? Compare the premiums of other companies. You might be getting such a good price, if you get cancelled with this one company, it will cost you money.