Liability insurance question?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by J Hardy, Apr 6, 2005.

1. J Hardy

J Hardy LawnSite Member

I'm adding several new customers this year. Past 2 years have been mowing for neighbors and family. Is $100,000 enough for liability insurance, or should I get a higher policy? I mow strickly residential, no commercial property,on a part-time basis. Trying to have around 20 customers.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

That is probably best answered by your accountant and the assets you have to protect. I would venture that most legit on here have at a minimum $500,000 up to a million to start. On my truck, I got several amounts to compare. There was no difference in premium on $300,000 to $500,000 and about $100 to go up to a million. Your business insurance will be based on years experience and payroll. Shop around and look at some of the independent agents. Let them do the shopping around for you.

3. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

that would be good...see what your accountant would say. With residentials you should not have too much to worry about and 100000 would probably cover you well...but check with an accountant as well as different insurance agents just to see what they say. Not even all commercials require one million and rarely do residentials care how much you have.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The difference between 100k and 1 mil for me is $28 a year.

5. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

could u guys throw some numbers on me on cost of insurance.. just average costs. i know they arnt going to be exact. i was thinking about gettin insurance... thanx

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You have to be at least 18 years old to get Commercial Insurance.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

$8k.......................................

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you are paying that amount for only commercial liability then either you have horrible, horrible credit or you are getting reamed! I have $5M in coveage and pay $634.00 a year.

9. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

New Jersey is very high for com. insurance. Mostly based on payroll but also on total sales. I don't think credit is a factor in com. insurance. My liability insurance of 2mil and an umbrella policy with it costs me over 8k a year. Snowplowing is separate.

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have 1mil with Farm Bureau and it's $25 a year to be a member and under 17k volume is $204 a year. So, it's $229 in all.