Liability Insurance ???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Road Ruler, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Road Ruler

Road Ruler LawnSite Member

Good day Folks. I have been mowing a few neighbors lawns for a year or so and now have a chance to pick up the lawn cutting contract in the complex where I live. It would be about a 8 hours of work a week. I will register and form a company.

I got a quote from my (auto, home) insurance company for $800. per year ( for "less than $10,000 per year of income). Does this sound right for liability insurance?? Seems like a lot of money for such a small amount of business.

Thanks for any info or tips you can provide.

Wayne in Canada:canadaflag:
  2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Wow...that seems very expensive.... I pay that much for 2,000,000 liability for irrigation work....
  3. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

that sounds way too high, i'd look at another insurance company
  4. Road Ruler

Thnxs guys. The company is ING and it was for lawn cutting only, no landscaping or winter plowing.
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I got quoted $500per year for up to 50K per year of income for $1,000,000.
  6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Who's your ins company cgaengineer for 500/yr?
  7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Grange Insurance in winder, AKA Winder Insurance. This was also for landscaping which was what they had listed, I told him mowing and he said ok, landscaping for the category.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Road Ruler, able private msg's.

here is the contact info of the guy that I use. Found him in Lawn & Landscape Magazine. EXTREMELY PLEASED!!!

Matt J. Drummelsmith
    Commercial Account Executive
    M.F.P. Insurance Agency, Inc.
    7607 Green Meadows Drive
    Lewis Center, OH 43035
    (740)549-6778 (fax)
  9. Road Ruler

Thnxs Guys.

I'm soaking this info up like a sponge and I appreciate your comments. This looks like a great site and no doubt I will be hanging out here a lot as I have lots to learn.
  10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

The rate would be high for someone in America but you live in Canada so it might be right in line, I would suggest calling around and see what kind of other quotes you recieve.