Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jmzgal, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Jmzgal

Jmzgal LawnSite Member

We are considering starting a lawn care business. What is the average amount of liability insurance that most people get? This would be mostly residential and some commercial jobs. How much does the insurance cost per year?

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Jmz - you find that most here get $1million per occurance limits. Some have more, a few have less. It seems most commercial jobs require the $1million.

I have $500K and for the nature of my biz I am comfortable with that. I may increase my limits in the future if the biz warrants.

3. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

you are looking at around 350 to 500 for that...........

4. The Green Barber

The Green Barber LawnSite Member

I am paying 1180.00 for the year with one million per incident.

5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Call your local agent.

6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

It all varies when I started I payed around 700, today I pay around 10K for liability and work comp.

7. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I am paying 350 but I am solo , rates are lower for solo...
    :weightlifter:

8. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

Insurance is a must. As inexpensive as it is, it could really save you. I pay $250 for $600,000 for the year.

I do four retail stores and they never specified a limit. But my agent told me if I plowed snow, which I don't they would require at least 1 million because of the high probability of slip and fall accidents.

Look in the phone book for a Insurance Broker. They can search several companies for you.

good luck

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice above, check out Independent Agents - can quote with multiple companies that they may represent.

Solo op here, I pay $135 annual for $500K.

10. Hoots

Hoots LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I am getting raped! I pay $1,200 for a $300,000/$600,000 policy as a solo op. Someone please PM me with some phone numbers. I also have a commercial truck policy that runs about the same $.

Other great news, I broke a 3x10 smoke glass window pane yesterday with the stick edger. Yeah it only set me back about $600 for the boarding and repair. Still waiting for the final bill, won't be repaired until Tuesday. It just is not worth it to claim though because the deductible is $500. Life sucks but you just have to keep on plugging.