liability insurance??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by juicygrass, May 2, 2011.

1. juicygrass

juicygrass LawnSite Member

Hi everyone.I wanted to ask a question about liability insurance.I'd like to have some insurance for protection in lawn mowing but heres my dilema.I work full time with a company doing lawn care and i dont really have much time to do alot of extra lawns on my own but i can handle a few.My question is can i get liability insurance for myself(only me cutting yards)without registering as a business?I dont really want to register as a business,get llc or dba and all that stuff for the amount of yards i can possibly only handle.I really just want to be protected from sue happy people and damages.Is this possible?I would like to make a little extra money on the side with the experience my job has given me.I pay taxes with my regular job already and don't see the sense of registering a business and paying more taxes with a business i dont plan on expanding past my few yards i can only handle.If in future i decide to change whether i want to expand or need to i can change all that legal stuff later.any comments would be greatly appreciated..thanks

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

customer- how come you are $45 to cut my lawn and (insert name from above) is only $35 per cut.

Me- see above post

3. juicygrass

I'm sorry nepatsfan,but your post confuses me a little when it has nothing to do with what i asked??Can you elaborate a little?unless that post you made was a mistake?I'm not sure what your saying or why u answered to my question in the way u did. sorry.

4. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty sure you can, because I did under Farmers a few years back. They only wanted my name and ask if anyone else would be mowing, which would raise the price. It was around 200.00.

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

what he means is that he is running a legit business and it cost him $xx to mow said lawn. you come along, no insurance, no taxes, no license and do it for less. now you are just part of the problem.

6. juicygrass

so basically you are tellin me if i dont run a full fludge business right from the start and others do with all this overhead and greed they have dont cut any at all?I'm not tryin to step on anyones toes, even though there is more lawns all of us can handle.I can still charge what he does and id be benefiting a little more than him without insurance but my post was i wanted to pay insurance.I dont need a license and if i have a full time job i already am paying taxes with that job.I dont get why somebody would be mad because im not paying even more taxes than i already do.how is that contributing to the problem?

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

You owe taxes on your entire income...not just what you feel you should pay on. Send a copy of this thread in with your taxes next year and see what Uncle Sam thinks of your "business plan"

8. juicygrass

so he is saying if i could handle a handful of accounts but dont want to be a full business on my own then dont make extra loot at all?

9. crocs27

crocs27 LawnSite Member

why does everyone highjack a question someone has. Get off your high horse because you do things legitly. That's good that you do it that way and you should but geez.

10. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

Greed? I'm just trying to make a living here!