1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MacKenzie, Jan 18, 2003.

1. MacKenzie

MacKenzie LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations for Insurance providers in the MA area? Write now I am just looking at Liability Insurance.

2. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Ask your agent from your auto coverage. If he doesn't offer Lia. for business, I'm sure he could help you out.
  3. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

As a past town selectman, toen of Holland, many years ago, the small business association in conjunction with the commonwealth of Mass tried a program to help new/small business' start out. Workmans comp, liability and other coverages was the specific aim of this project. I would approach your selectmen's board or their executive secretary and ask if any state programs are still available. You may have to ask the econimic developement board, if Carver has one. Don't be afrais of all state programs. One's like these usually were of great help to people starting out.
  4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

down here mine cost 350.00per yr. for 100,000worth.about 500.00per yr. will get you 1,000,000worth lia.I had to shop around,my good neighbor,state farm,doesn't carry it.I'd try the yellow pages.:)
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Call your bank also. They may offer insurance packages. Mine does, although I didn't go with them, I did get a quote. I found my G/L insurance thru my finance/life insurance guy. I asked him who he recommended. I've never had a problem with the company. I've told several people in my area about them. Just some ideas.
  6. Mykster

D*MN!!!!!!! I'm at 1250/yr for 1mil. Guess it might be time to do some lookin' around.
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

You are getting raped. I get 2 mil for $250 per yr. I opted to get 6K of theft for only an aditional $100. I go though American Family FYI.
  8. Mykster

Yup.....one of the many benefits living in the WA. State. You pay more for everything than the rest of the country.
  9. Mykster

MacLawn, I sent you a PM.
  10. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get excited about the insurance rates being quoted here. There are two factors involved in the liability rate. The first is of course the dollars of liability. The other factor is wages paid. These rates also change by various categories of work. Arborist work is of course much higher than secretarial. That is why it is so important to classify all of your employees by the duties they actually perform. Mowing etc is much lower than even general landscaping, irrigation higher yet etc. Of course there are also minimum premiums etc. Get quotes from several companies for your business and compare those. Comparing with another company would bu useless unless you had identical wages etc.

If it is a sole proprietor with no employees, they usually have a set rate that they use.

Austreim Landscaping