Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by llama, Mar 3, 2003.

1. llama

llama LawnSite Member

How much should liability insurance cost?

One company wants me to have $500,000. Will this be expensive? Or is it not worth going after the job?

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

My cost is 350.00 year for 500,000 aug 500,000 were in Al. do you live. might be able to help you .

3. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what work you plan on doing but you may want to consider 1 million. Seriously cause not even 1 mill will by a whole lot. I have 2 million and I pay 1150 a yr. Check around cause that seems a little high.

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Why wouldn't you have insurance now?

For the few hundred a year, it is something that you shouldn't do with out!!!

5. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

$350.00 for 1 million in liability and full coverage on my mowers. Too cheap to do without.

6. llama

llama LawnSite Member

To answer a few questions, I live in Gadsden AL. I worked with my brother-in-law last year. He decided to go elsewhere for employment so now I will start a business on my own. I have the equipment ready to start the season off. I have not cut any lawns this year. I want to get everything completed, (like insurance, licenses, flyers complete) before actually starting. I plan to have all this done in the next 10 days.

Let me know if I am overlooking anything.

Thanks for the help

7. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Lee I am coming down there for insurance. I pay 1150 just for liability. I pay another 12??.00 for coverage on all my equipment. I do have alot of equipment though. What all do you have that is covered. Just wondering why so cheap.

8. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Only have my mowers covered right now, JD 335 tractor and M665 z, $!4,000.00 worth, $250.00 deductible. Really need to add my 2-cycle equipment.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I agree it depends on what type of work you will be doing. If it is just maintenance that seems like a good amount. We carry a 2 mil. policy because we do land clearing, const. etc.. I also pay well over 1K a year. :cool:

10. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

My insurance has 2 million liability. I pay 1150/year Canadian. With exchange what does that work out to in USD.......probably like fifty bucks or something:D