Liability paid by contractor ???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by OEY3, May 23, 2008.

1. OEY3

OEY3 LawnSite Member

I have been offered to bid on an installation of sod (1.5 acres) for a building contractor. This is the first time I have ever not dealt with the property owner. I have no liability insurance...yet. The contractor says that he wants me to do the work, however when I told him I had no insurance he said he would have to cover it and charge it against my bid. ??? What does this mean?

Its so much easier to deal with a client myself, but I may have never had the opportunity to land this job if it weren't for him.

Why does he need for me to have insurance and should I just run out today and shop for some? I will need to discuss with insurance agent, but wanted to get your feedback first.

Thanks

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

he needs u to have insurance incase you screw up something. like loose control of a tractor and run over sombody. u can call an agent but i think it takes 30 days from when you sign till you are coveredmine cost me less than a thousand dollars a year for a million dollars of coverage. its just stupid to run without it.

3. MountainMan

MountainMan LawnSite Member

You should just get your own liability insurance, I have 2 mil in coverage and it cost around 450 a year!

4. VBsnow

VBsnow LawnSite Member

First, there are no more companies that allow him to hire uninsured subs. Second, it will most likely cost more. Go buy it. It's cheap. It's smart.