Liabilty Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jrwinter74, Aug 26, 2004.

1. jrwinter74

jrwinter74 LawnSite Member

Well, I have come to the point to where I feel I need to get some liabilty insurance( just took on 2 big commercial accounts) and they want proof of insurance. I called my local agent (and friend) and he told me not too many companies operating in Mississippi write liabilty for lawn care anymore but he did get me a quote,...$700.00 per year,OUCH!!!. He said he knew that was a bit pricey and told me to ask around and see if there are any associations that I might become a member of and get it cheaper. Any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated, Thanks! James

2. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

I have National Grange Mutual, $550 per year $1mil policy

3. jrwinter74

Thanks! A lot of companies pulled out of the state 2-3 years ago with all the crazy lawsuits going around and it is hard to find an insurer but I will look into it. That'll at least save me $150.00 per year. James

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

See if Erie Insurance does business in Miss. I pay $235 a year for $1 million in liability (for a solo operator). Others have agreed they have the lowest rates.

5. jrwinter74

Neither National Grange Mutual nor Erie operate in Mississippi,...I checked both companies this A.M.,...see what I mean. This may be more a task than I realized. JW

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

try Safeco................................

7. jrwinter74

Safeco may be the one,..I called them Friday P.M. and they told me that they would have me a quote first thing Monday A.M. Thanks everyone. James

8. premiereman

premiereman LawnSite Member

I have Erie insurance. Mostly sold through an independent agent. Just do a search on google and u will find a contact. million liability for $ 451 a year and replacement

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Even if you end up paying $700, that's a small price to pay for peace of mind. But hopefully you can buy peace of mind a little cheaper...