Lic. Spray Tech looking for Part time job in Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'Employment' started by mgramling, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mgramling

mgramling LawnSite Member

I am licenced in the state of TN as a Cat.#3 spray tech. Also currently hold other professional licenses. But I have limited experience with lawn chemicals.

I am and have been looking for a spraying position here in Shelby or Tipton County. For over 3 months. I am honest, hard working, dependable. I have met with and talked to over 10 companies here Memphis. So far nobody is willing to take me on part time. Every company I have talked with, will bring me on immediately full time. But I only want part time work.

I physically fit and can easily pass a crimininal, drug, MVR, background checks. I am not young, but not old. I am 31 years old. Stable, Married for 8 years with 1 great son. My carreer I have been in for over 12 years. Part of my job, I drive 80K dollar vechicles. Highly trained to handle harmful chemicals, and use to working with toxic chemicals and other harmful fluids.

I am looking to get into the industry as a back up plan. The company I work for just went through a corp. merger. I always have a back up plan. I am tired of working indoors. I am wanting to start working outdoors again. With lower levels of stress.

I talked with one company, in which I thought I ended up getting a job spraying. I thought they were going to teach me. He stated guys were applying couldn't pass a drug test, tested positive for cocaine. Or had their drivers license revoked. So I thought he was gonna give me the job, just to fill in until somebody more experienced came along. He wouldn't do it. I see their add in the help wanted sections of the paper still advertising for the same job. I call him and he states, their still looking, but will keep me in mind.

Most companies won't hire me part time because I have limited experience. But state they have full time employeed spray tech's that can't pass their test. I have even offered to work for FREE to gain some experience. So that way I can get my foot in the door. NOPE NO TAKERS. I have tried big corperate firms and individuals. NOPE.

So how can I get my foot in the door.
  2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

read up on lawn apps and start your own part time deal you have 1/2 the battle wrapped up, you have a Lic.
  3. mgramling

To my knowledge, according to the law book for commercial applicators to become a license operator. I might be paraphrasing, but here it goes. I must obtain a Charter to become a licensed operator.

To obtain a charter:
    Must have a degree in horticulture or some sort of education related to a turf maintence.
    or must have two years of documented work experience as a applicator.
    and must be licenced in the state of TN or another state for 2 years.

Or based on experience, handled by a case bycase basis.

Since I have only have had my lic. for about 3 months. I am a little shy on time. I didn't think it would be that hard to open up a lawn spraying business.

There are some other laws here in the state of TN that are interesting. It states that a person spraying a yard can work for a licensed operator for 90 days, and must obtain a commerical applicators lic within that90 days. If they cannot obtain a commercial applicators lic. withing 90 days, the person MUST be under direct supervision of a licensed applicator.

So I have seen several hispanics that can barely speak english out spraying yards. I know they can't speak english, because I stopped and tried to talk to them. They were either faking or can't speak english. Then how do they pass the test.

I have talked with a county extension agent. He advised me not to go out and start spraying yards even if I knew what I was doing. Unless I am employeed by a licensed operator, or obtain my charter. He said I could loose everything I own. I asked him what about the people that do it or unlicensed or duing it illegally. He stated they are stupid, and it can get very expensive very quickly trying to defend yourself. He stated if it is an illegal citizen all they would probably due is deport them and they would be back in less then a month.
  4. Stillwater

having a degree in horticulture ? are you sure you have correct information because that sounds completely unreasonable. But I am from MA. I do not know TN. law I only know MA. law. in MA. their are 2 classifications restricted use and general use. to get a lic in MA. you need to do 7 things.
    1. submit a fee and a application
    2. take and pass the exam
    3. submit a fee and proof of insurance
    4.maintain continuing education (keep up with current knowledge)
    5.submit annual use reports
    6.renew you lic every year
    7. follow and abide by the Massachusetts pesticide control act and its regulations
  5. mgramling

Here it is directly out of the law section: For to become a license operator (owner).

(1.) Applicants may qualify to take the written examination by showing one or more of the following qualifications:

(a.) A bachelor's degree or its equivalent with major or minir in disciplines reasonably related to the category of pest control in which the applicant is seeking a license; or

b. At least two (2) years of work experience in the category of license fo rwhich the application is made, exept the category of Agricultural- Ground Equipment and Horticulture- Lawn and Turf. Only experience obtained in compliance with the "Tennessee Application of Pesticides Act" ir a substantially equivalent law or another jurisdiction shall be considered by the Board.

c. Sufficient experience, as determined by the Baord. in the category of Agricultural-ground Equipment and Horticulture-Lawn and Turf.

2. Any person appliying to take the xamination based on experience and not by eductation must have been listed within the department as a pest control technician or salesperson fo r aperiod of at least two years and provide documentary evidence of employment. Anyone who is not listed witht th edepartment, but has been active in pest contr0ol for two years must submit documentary evidence of employment with the application.

This is straight out of the law section. I don't want to cheat the system. But I really would like to get some experience. Before I go out and start spraying peoples yards. the more knowledge I have the more succesfull I will be. I think all the companies I have talked with, they have a clue of what I am wanting to do. And they won't hire me. Since I won't give up my 60K year job to work for $500/wk

I had one guy even tell me. So you want me to train you, so in a few years you can be my competitor.
    I was talking to a business assoc. of mine and told him what the guy said. He said the next time somebody tells me that. Tell them somebody gave you the opportunity. And that I can make you a lot of money while your training me. And then tell them, I think its better to have me as a friend, then have me as a cut throat competitor. Either way, I am going to be a competitor. So you can chose how you would like to do it.

My friend told me either way he's not going to hire you. He stated if he was smart he would. My friend stated he has trained about 30 people in his life time to be a competitor. and only about 1/2 dozen are still in business. He told me somebody took him under his wing to teach him. Why would somebody not do the same and return the favor.

But most of the people don't want to train somebody else to compete against them.
  6. Stillwater

That is understandable not to want to train someone to compete. But you can make more money in a year than 60,000 if their is enough work.

But I believe in the language of the law you just sent their is a clear loop hole. When restrictive laws are created and the language of the law is developed law makers follow guidelines of reasonable conveince. Forcing or requiring people seeking permits and licenses to work for someone first that is currently holding those licenses and permits could be considered to have a level of impropriety. if they do not allow other reasonable recourse. Meaning who in the state is receiving kick backs from this company? you know what I mean? A law that says someone who wants to compete with so and so go work for them first but so and so is not hireing. catch 22 right? so now so and so has no competition and will not for a long time. that I believe is why in the law they have the clause or other experience handled by a case but case. what are the other licenses and permits you say you have? why don't these count as "other experience"?
  7. Stillwater

Out of couriosity I googled the TN. law and noticed their have been some amendments and also some lawsuits filed i did not read them though
  8. mgramling

9. Stillwater

I mean working for yourself you could make more than 60,000

I googled..... The Tennessee Application of Pesticides Act" (TAPA) and

TN. restricted-use herbicides
    TN. restricted use charter
  10. Stillwater

I have family in German town do you know where that is?