Licenced Irrigator inspector and installer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jimmyburg, Oct 31, 2007.

1. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

went to a focus group meeting last night, to go over and suggest to our state reps on a few issues.

right now state is talking about direct supervision over crews, should the irrigator be on site or have a lic installer or tech to serve as direct supervision.- with that said we as a group came up with:

1. should there be a lic installer or irrigation tech? what would be there be responsablity? right now the installers lic if for only to connect the backflow to the potable water only.
    some of us came up with given the irr tech the responsibilty to connect install the backflow, pipe and wire, and be in charge of the crew.

2. Irrigator inspector- what would the requirements be
    we came with:
    lic irrigator
    lic backflow tester
    water audit cert.
    min 5 years exp.

now the state has passed a law for citys with 20,000 or more people to hire or employ these inspectors.

now we are just taking suggestion down to present to the state, of what we as irrigatord would like in our industry. now the state can wipe there butt with our recomendations, but have been very receptive so far.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Cool. No laws now?

3. jimmyburg

yes, they are rewriting it as we speak, they will show the public in january, and take public comments in austin in february.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Knowing the gvt, it will be nothing like was discussed at your focus group.

5. jimmyburg

I agree with you 100%

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I think that's a damn good idea, tho someone posted a while ago it did no
    good to improve the quality of irrigation systems. Having the system pass
    a 80% water audit would prolly put 80% of contractors out of business, tho
    it would not bother me at all. There is a water district north of here that has
    the 80% audit after the install (they require permits for install & backflow
    install regs,). Jeez, other trades have had inspections for years, why not us?
    I just hope they don't find the irri inspectors next to Jimmy Hoffa.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of my inquiries of code officials about if they wanted to look over a completed irrigation system are met with blank stares, and I would guess out loud, that if the system had toxic-rated backflow protection installed by the plumber, the sprinkler guys could do most anything without endangering the water supply. (Code officials nod in reply)

8. I agree. I've always felt that backflow protection should be part of the meter tap and the responsibility of a plumber. I've seen some really bad irrigator backflow jobs. More time can be spent on inspecting the quality of the irrigation system concerning coverage, zoning, avoiding waste. Texas does seem to be more progressive in the area of irrigation than most states it seems.

9. jimmyburg

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Were you or Peter or any other forum members contacted? If so, what were
    some of the questions they asked?