1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

License and insurance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by manningslc, Aug 6, 2007.

1. manningslc

manningslc LawnSite Member

ok i'm 17 years old i will 18 in dec. i want to bid on commercial accounts and mainly churches but i know that making a transition from residential to commercial will mean that i will need a business license and insurance but i'm under 18. can i get a license and insurance and also can someone give me an estimated price for both

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Most likely the license will cost you around $100 or so, so no biggie. As for insurance the rate vary wildly, but you're in Indiana and Erie Ins. works in your state, they have the lowest rates I've ever found. I started off paying $300 a year with them. If you call around you'll get quotes from that on up into the thousands of dollars.
  3. manningslc

can i obtain the license and insurance being under 18

You really need to be 18 to get the proper licensing and insurance. That's the way it works pretty much.
  5. manningslc

so do you think commercial places will still take bids in december

Sure, a lot of them won't make a decision until sometime before the next season starts. Winter is a good time to bid on them.
  7. manningslc

ok thanks for all the advice it should really help me out
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, for what you are doing,...depending on your area, there may not be any actual "licensing" required or even available, foe that matter. Many people get a DBA through their county offices and think it is a license, but in a sense, it really isn't. as far as the insurance goes, you will have to be 18 to sign and be held to a contract with an insurance co..
  9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the same shoes as you. Let me know how everything goes. How do you plan to pick up commercial properties? Are you gonna advertise.
  10. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

I am in Indiana and there is NO "licensing" for just mowing, where I am. So check your local county.

I would start calling Ins. Co. now so you can get it the day you turn 18. I had so trouble finding someone to do my Ins. for my GL and snowplowing.