License and insurance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by N4PSN, Apr 27, 2004.

1. N4PSN

N4PSN LawnSite Member

I live in Oconee County in South Carolina with four cities around me. Do I need County license and license for all four cities or what. I have been cutting grass here for a few years and have not got any license yet. Now that my main work is closing down I will have to depend on Lawn care for awhile.

Thanks, L&L Lawn Care
  2. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

how about you check with your state and those cities. They almost all have websites now that you find POC info.
  3. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Good question,N4PSN.I went down to the Lexington Co. Administration building last week and was told that you should have a business license for each county that you do business in.Over 90% of my customers are in Lexington Co. so that's the only county I'm getting a license for.
    Also,I found out that if you do sprinkler systems you're supposed to have a separate permit for that.I believe it costs $25-50.Good luck. Jim
  4. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I meant to add that the laws in your county may be totally different from those in Lexington.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

6. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

Was wondering the same thing here in Pickens county. Got a guy I work with that does Bobcat work, told me he made about 30K on the side last year with no business license. Do you have to have a business license for tax write-off's ?