License check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trimmer, May 30, 2001.

1. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Today while mowing a green jeep cherokee pulled up into the drive way where I was mowing my first thought was it was someone visiting the customer so I turned and kept on going but when I turned to come back there was a man standing there with a hat on that said CODE ENFORCEMENT. As I got closer he asked me to shut my machine off, he asked if I lived there and said that there had been a complaint about the customer watering on the wrong days. He then, to my surprise, asked to see a business license I told him that I didn't have it on me so he took my company name. He gave me some paper work to give to the customer and told me to get a copy of the license to keep in the truck. I told him I would take care of the timer.

I just thought it was neat that they asked to see my licence. I also told him that I thought it was neat and he replied saying "I am just trying to get the fly by nighters off the street." Says he catches them all the time.

Sorry it was long winded but there is some hope out there.:angel:

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. thay actually follow up on complaints about watering there. It's still wet here from last week, can't cut a couple lawns dew to the water. Nice to see the grass starting to really grow tho. Makes striping and lawns look better for the customer, annoing for us who have to cut it tho.:eek: Nice to see thay actually care if you have a licence or not. The first week or so of the season thay checked a few people arround here. Unfortunatly all the unlicened people didnt start yet. Would be nice to see them get some of thoes unlicenced, untaxing, scrubs outta here. First few snow falls of the season thay put on extra police offiers for thoes who cant drive in the snow, and check on licences when not on calls. About the only time tho.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Watering on the wrong days?:confused: Only wrong day to water here is the rare occasion it rains.

Only guy we have that checks crews is the commercial chemical applicator license guy. Big bucks if you don't have all they want to see!

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Where in FL are you trimmer? Im in st pete, and i got stopped in Kenneth City last week. This was by the police though.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have been asked for my commercial pesticide license, but not my business... interesting... Dave g

6. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Up here it has been raining for 2 straight weeks and been 60/50 degrees out. I love living by lakes, lol. We get as much water as we want, we even have cheap city water, and people still won't water in the dry of summer.

7. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnman_Scott

I am from Central Florida located about an hour from Orlando.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Whats a business license? I mean, I kinda know WHAT they are, but I guess I don't need one in PA. I have a sales tax license, but business license? Hmmm. What did you have to do to acquire one?

Just curious.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

It is a city license in Wa St you just buy it at the city's office.
    Cost me $80 per yr they send me a notice each yr to renew. I got stopped 10 yrs ago by a city inspector who said I would be fined without one. Had one ever since. But they are much more relaxed about enforcing this law now. Unless someone turns you in you can get away with it.

10. We don't have local occupational business license in most parts of the commonwealth. But in those commie states like MA,CT, NJ, NY you have to pay the local taxpayer of EACH and every city, boro, township, town, and village a fee for the "right" to do business in their little berg.

You also have to pay an annual property tax on your cars, trucks, trailers, RV, boat etc.

You also have to round up all your alum cans and bottles and take them back to the store to get a $.05 deposit. I put all my beer cans, plastic pop bottles, scrap metal, and steel food cans out this morning. The boro truck comes by every two weeks and takes the newsprint tomorrow.

You also have to pay a 7 1/2 sales tax on clothes NY.

That's why the population is growing through the roof in Wayne and Monroe county PA.