License Comment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Jul 19, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

First I am licensed in MA.

Now north of me is NH they have the craziest laws. You have to have 5 years to get your operators license(own a lawn care buisness). When i called and asked how a C-lawn applicator can be cut loose and do blanket apps day 2 after getting a license, they reponded. Oh they have a supervisor above them, the thing is that the supervisor is not with them to answer questions or make sugestions, in fact a buddy of mine was on a beach in Fl while his applicator was doing apps, how is that supervision

. A homeowner can poor 500 pounds of starter fertilizer and 5 gallons straight concentrated roundup 10 feet from a lake with no training or knowledge. But if you want to do applications for hire it is illegal. I can sell a customer roundup and a sprayer, the tools to do the job, but if i mix it and spray it it is illegal.
  2. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

I guess they don't really care what Joe Q Homeowner does. It has always amazed me that a homeowner can go buy pesticides without much knowledge, spray for bugs he's never seen or identified, applied a post- emergent to kill weeds that are not there, over fertilized his lawn and burned it because he did nor read the label or could not understand what it said. Of course he applied all this stuff in his underwear and socks while smoking a cig. all the while the neighbor watched from 2 feet away who was drinking a cold one and walked across the freshly treated lawn in his bare feet. I have always felt that applying anything should be left to those that are properly trained .Homeowners generally never really have a clue as to what they are doing. I would also add that the people that sell these products lack any training or on the job experience. Ever been to a Lowe's or Home Depot for advice on a problem... it's very amusing to watch them struggle and give wrong advice.