License/Education Requirements

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Volhunter, May 14, 2001.

1. Volhunter

Volhunter LawnSite Member
    from TN

I just stumbled on to this site today. Looks like a great place. I am seriously looking into going into lawn maintenance full time next year. The question I have is...to apply fertilizer/weed control, what type of education requirements or licensing is required or where would I go to find out this information? While I'm at it...what type accounts do yall feel are most profitable, commercial or residential? I look forward to your replys...Thanks!

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

As for licensing requirements, you'll want to contact the department in your state who's in charge of handling that. It varies a lot from state to state. In Oregon, you need a permit to apply any herbicide, pesticide, etc. But they have an exception. If you are a landscaping or lawn care company and 1) do not mention these things specifically in your advertising and invoices and 2) it's less than 10% of your income, you can do it without a license. But again it varies. So don't take someone elses' advice. Go directly to the department who handles this in your state and ask for the written law or policy.

As for profitability, the most profitable for us are the smaller residential accounts. These are where we make the most dollars per hour. And in general we make a lot more on residential than we do on commercial jobs. Which is why I turn down most commercial jobs that come our way. But we do have a few smaller commercial jobs that do pay well.

The key to profitability is really cutting down your drive time. The more landscapes you can do in one neighborhood, the more profitable you'll be. The biggest profit killer is drive time. So do whatever you can do build as many clients as you can in the neighborhoods you want to work in.

Our most profitable day is one where one of my crews does 25 houses in one day. They are almost all small and they are all within a mile of one another. They drive 1 block away and their back to work again.