1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

License for organic fert?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by AAXteriors, Apr 26, 2007.

1. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if i needed a pesticide license to spread organic fert. Also is the Scotts organic fertilizer i saw at home cheepo really organic? they also carried that Milo???? organic fertilizer, the stuff thats made from activated sewage sludge or something. Thanks for the help

2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

No license required for organic nor synthetic fert. If the label claims a pest CONTROL such as Corn Gluten does for crabgrass then you do need a license. Organic fertilizer by Scotts? Not familiar with it. I would get a organic fert with feather meal, bone meal, blood meal, protein meal, sugars in the raw, a good metal analysis, sulfur, soil conditioners humic acid, fulvic acid and a good premium organic compost in them. These build up your soil. Nature safe is a good choice. If you have an Omish farm near you, they always have organic fertilizer they tend to sell at fair prices...Nathan
  3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Please know what you're talking about regarding licensing before you post. In most states it doesn't matter what you're applying, if you're getting paid to apply it you need a license.

Also, just because an AMISH farm is advertising organic fertilizer, it doesn't mean it's organic. It's not regulated, and you probably have no idea what's in it (sort of like mushroom soil).
  4. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

I thought that a license was only needed for synthetic chemical fert.
  5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

6. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

here we go again, anytime someone wants to know about fert, someone always ask the big ?. do you have a license or you need this or that, the best bet is to go to your states department of ag website and it will give you the breakdown, some states you dont need a license to apply fert, but if it has anykind of weed or bug killer in it you will need a licsense
  7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Privately owned, Gov't controlled. Is the nutshell definition of Fascism. This Forum is generally fun with interestting conversation, however I am already sick of the fascist attacks of pro-regulation forces , brow-beating others into submission. Liscense this and liscence that.
    When I informed the land owner he will need to spray his own weeds, his response was: "Chem-Lawn must have a pretty good lobby."
    Basically I love what I do and have no real interest in chemicals at all. Others do. So what? Who cares? Let's argue and fight about it. Let's display our loyalty to the Fuhrer.
    later, .rick.
  8. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

I just used the scotts organic,it greened up the lawn in about three days. Not to bad.
  9. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hmmm...that doesn't sound like an organic fertilizer then. green up takes longer since the soil life has to break down organic material to allow the nutrients to be taken up by the grass plant. do you have a link to what you put down? i would like to try some out. i got a feeling it is a bridge fert and not purely organic.
  10. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

The website foe scotts may have it. i wish i still had the bags. It is at Lowes