License frustration (what can I do)?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tallkracker, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Tallkracker

Tallkracker LawnSite Member

They really don't make it easy when your trying to do things the right way I guess that is why there are so many people doing it there own way. I live in Maryland and I am in the process of trying to obtain a home improvement contractors license, this is what's needed to break ground and plant anything.
    Well in order to obtain this, one of the requirements is that you have 2 years experience in the field with another company or you can substitute 1 year if you have gone to a trade school. Now I am not trying to plant anything huge but if a customer wants a tree planted I'd like to be able to do that for them. I am 30yo with three kids and I already have a full time profession, I do not have the time to go work for someone for $10-15 or go back to school to do something simple like plant some flowers.
    Does anyone have a legitiment solution to this problem? I am striving to keep things honest. The best I can come up with is go work for my buddy one day a month who has a LCO for 2 years.
    Anyone else having the same problem?

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing to do is join your local turf or LCO association. This is exactly the sort of thing they are in existance for. I had some trouble getting my consumer affairs license too, and they solved the entire problem with a phone call to the right person.

3. abloom

abloom LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

We're having similar issues with getting a license in MD. Good Luck.

4. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I got my MHIC license last year. First of all, I thank you for doing this the right way. Not that I'd advocate false information, but if you worked any job doing any sort of contracting type work, landscaping or not, just put it in there. I worked a golf course for three summers and a nonlicensed landscaping company and I was accepted to take the test. I also had a 7 year break between the golf course and now and was still through. I don't think this part of the qualifications is one they really push too hard. Their goal in the license is to ensure that people who have some idea of what they are doing are applying and not Joe Dirt who couldn't find a job. You'll find this attitude throughout the whole testing and application process.

They really push for insurance, that you have enough net worth or you're bonded, and that you know what you're getting into. It really honestly does a decent job of trying to protect consumers. I was quite surprised. Make sure you have the MHIC book that they offer as 100% of the questions are straight out of the book. If there's anything you have questions about, just let me know and I'll help where I can. I'd rather spend my time helping someone do it right than someone who's mowing for a 6-pack of Busch.

5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same issue here in Virginia. This will be my second year and In October I plan on getting a contractors license. You will just have to wait it out. Good Luck!

6. Tallkracker

Tallkracker LawnSite Member

I wonder if they would just accept a lawn mowing buisness for 2 years to meet that qualification. The state is having a seminar to give people an orientation as to what to expect, so I guess I'll be there.