1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

License in Georgia?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Titan31, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Titan31

Titan31 LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me what getting legit in Georgia would entail.Obviously a license and insurance, but where do I get it and how long and how much will it cost.Thank you so much.

2. jbt79

jbt79 LawnSite Member

Business license from the county you live in. Think mine was like $100, Register corporation with state. $100 Google georgia secretary of state corporation search, make sure the name you want isnt taken, and register your name so no one else can take it, Get a fed Tax ID number from IRS, Free. You need all these before you can get a company bank acct. Insurance is a must. Shop around for this there are a million choices. I went with state farm which is where I have my Truck insurance. Think I pay $75 or so for coverage on my trailer, equip, and $2,000,000 ($1,000,000 per occourance) General Liability. Pay like $225 a month for my auto and business policies. Only had to pay like $100 to get policy started.

Business License $100
    Register w/ State $100
    Insurance $100

Peace of mind because you are legit and insured.... Priceless
  3. Titan31

Titan31 LawnSite Member

Jbt, thank you so much. I wouls assume that if you didnt want to incorporate, you wouldn't need to register with the state.If you did sole prop. I would just need to get a business lic from the county and get insurance and i would be ready to go correct?

4. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

or if your a DBA you can skip the state registration. I spent about 80 bucks a year in the county I lived in, I moved 8 miles to a new county so it may be different this year.
  5. jbt79

jbt79 LawnSite Member

Did an LLC
  6. OldRedFord

OldRedFord LawnSite Member

$225 a month? One place I talked to said average for general liability for them for lawn service was $350 a year.
  7. jbt79

jbt79 LawnSite Member

Thats $225 a month for full coverage on my F-350 and my business insurance. Used to pay $205 just for my truck with geico. Think it comes out to $65 or $70 monthly for my Equip, Trailer, and GL. $350 a year sound kinda low. What's the deductible? Mines $0. Who's it with? Small insurance companies scare me. I think its worth a few extra dollars to have a good large insurance company