1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

License in Indiana?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DixieChopper88, Mar 20, 2007.

1. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

Im all ready for the start of the mowing season and i needed to clear something up. Do i need to have a business license for my company. I am solo and will be obtaining commercial lots. Just didn't know what the law was. Oh and also do i need a license do advertise in the paper?
  2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

No. Not unless the town requires it and I am pretty sure they would not.
  3. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

Okay thank you, josh
  4. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

Hey Guys,

We operate down here outta Jasper, IN.

You don't need a business license or even register as a business unless you hire someone, then you have to get an Employer # for taxes.

Have a good season guys.

5. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This may be true ... to an extent. In my opinion, you are better off registering as some sort of corporation, be it LLC, S-Corp ... whatever. You need to protect you personal assets as much as you can, and this is about the only way to do it.

Also, unless you plan on not being legit ... you're going to need to pay your taxes, charge the right prices (no low-balling), and have insurance. If you are doing commercial work, they are going to require you to carry liability insurance (which you should anyway).