License in Ohio for applying fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by thomaslawn, Nov 24, 2005.

1. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

For the past 4 years we've been primarily focused on lawn mowing and other small jobs. We are looking into adding a fertilization service to our business, possibly next spring. I have a few questions if anyone can help: Do I need a license if I am applying fertilizer only? How will adding this service affect my liability insurance, we currently have a $1 mill. policy. Are there regulations regarding storage of fertiilizer products? Thank you in advance for all of your help.

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

1. Yes, you need a license to apply fertilizer only, as well as other products. 2. You will need to call your insurance provider to make sure you are insured for pesticides and fertilizers. Liability insurance is also a requirement to obtain the license. 3. Yes, you will learn all the storage regulations when you learn the materials for taking the required exams.

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Go to the Department of Agriculture web site, find your state and it will direct you to a site or location that will tell you what tests are needed, what categories, etc...

www.ohioagriculture.gov should do the trick

4. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

Thank you for the replies, the ohio ag. website spells everything out very clearly. Thank again for your help. Have a great weekend.

5. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I have a ????? We are looking to expand an get into lawn fertilizing. But we have been trying to get info even from the state of mi and that cool link that was at the begining and nothing. I want to know if you have to be licensed? and if you do how do i do it? thanks

6. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I have a ????? We are looking to expand an get into lawn fertilizing. But we have been trying to get info even from the state of mi and that cool link that was at the begining and nothing. I want to know if you have to be licensed? and if you do how do i do it? thanks