1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tatiana919, Jul 13, 2005.

1. tatiana919

tatiana919 LawnSite Member

What type of insurance do you need to start a residential lawn care business, and do you have to have a business license?

Any other special requirements?

2. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

business license depends on your local city, county ordinances. You'll need chemical applicators license from state if you wish to apply chemicals on the lawns. Insurance, talk to an agent, but if you are going to have employees you need to carry workmen's comp, then you should have auto liability, with a business use rider, completed products liability insurance, an umbrella policy is cheap way to increase your protection. You could/should check with your state unemployment insurance bureau, here in Illinois, as a privately held, sole proprietor I was able to pay unemployment ins. premiums on myself and workers, and then draw unemployment benefits in the winter. I do the same thing now that I am incorporated. Takes about 2 weeks of UCB checks in winter to recover premium, the rest is gravy.
    You need to check with a bookkeeper?accountant about quarterly payments to IRS so you don't get hit with a penalty for underpaying taxes at end of year, plus if you make quarterly payments it isn't such a big bite at tax time. I'm sure others will have more good advice.