License Needed for Putting Greens?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Oct 8, 2007.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a question. Some might think it is stupid, but I have tried to get an answer out of the Maryland Home Improvement people with no success. I want to get into installing putting greens in backyards. For those that know (especially in Maryland), is a MHIC license required? I want to get one, and have ordered the study book. So I plan on getting it, but it will take me a while due to all of the requirements. So if one is not really required, but recommended, please say that. I would greatly appreciate any helpful help on this subject. Thanks!!!

2. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really sure, but i would say it is required. A friend of mine got in trouble for not having them, planting bushes. From what i have been told anything that is a improvement requires mhic, anything that is maintenance does not.
  3. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

Hey im in maryland and i got my Home Improvement license 2 years ago it is a ***** of a process it takes for ever to get everything through, the people that you have to deal with are f***ing idiots trust me it took me almost a year from start to finish to get my mhic # and i passed the test the first time....As far as needing the license to do putting green installs im almost positive that you need it. The way i understand the whole MHIC thing is that they want you to have the license if you are in any way binding into a contract with a homowner or doing a service for them. This is what i was told by the people from baltimore who give you your actual license number. Good luck any more Questions about it just ask me.
  4. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!