License or bigger cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking for your opinions. I can probably get a 36" Walk-Behind financed, but with money down or all the proper business licensing and insurance next year. If I get the licensing and insurance, I will have to continue running a 21". Which route should I take?

Option 1: Get a 36" Walk-Behind and not have any licenses.

Option 2: Get licenses, but carry no insurance and get walk-behind.

Option 3: Get licenses and insurance, but run basic 21" set-up.

Do you have to have insurance to be a business? Also, is it illegal to mow yards without a license if you still pay income taxes? How much do you have to make to pay income taxes? Thank you for any help in advance.
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

D. None of the above - 36" and insurance. . .Use the 36" and build your business. Get insurance before you set foot on anyone's property again. Get licensed once you have something to license.

No professional license is required to mow, trim, edge, or blow (at least in my state). A business license is required to operate a business and usually you'd want to have insurance to protect your business (or yourself if you have no business).
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

in nc you dont get a paper liscense you just file it on your 1040.people and comm props will send a 1099 at the end of the year for you to file with.
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy yourself a 36, skip the insurance and license and file the paper work to become a LLC. Then build your business get the insurance and get the licenses.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Not trying to be mean or nasty, just truthful. The questions you ask seem to say that you have very little start-up cash. Why not get a job and cut a few on the side with the 21 this year and save for a real start up next year.
    I would not run with no insurance and it will be hard to make a living and pay the bills with a 21". Just my $.02.
  7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any money? :)

You say you are going to finance the mower, do you have a trimmer, edger, trailer? Why can you not get insurance if you are going to finance the mower?
  8. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Bingo. .
  9. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

get licensed and insurance then use mowers you got now save money then go buy a mower in the end you got everything you want and your good to go
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

why? so you can call him a scr*b?

here it is illegal to do ANY for profitt work with out a biz license.
    check your local laws.