License police

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Mar 7, 2006.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, everyone wants to be the "do ya have a license" police. Yet, I remember a post that asked if anyone would turn in an unlicensed applicator and I believe we had a resounding "I ain't no rat" response. So I guess everyone likes to play "telephone tough guy" at their keyboard.

I can't wait for the snow to finish melting so we can start applying and everyone finds something better to do than ask if a guy is licensed when he asks a question.:hammerhead:

That is my rant for the day.......

2. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I agree, this is an informational website. If a license was required to chat then you should have to submit a copy in order to do so. I'm sure that there are alot of unlicensed people out there that have forgot more than we'll ever know.

3. New Green

New Green LawnSite Member

We are playing by the rules and it is frustrating day after day to see these people getting away with it. Some need to be reminded of the license requirements and some do not know to begin with. As for the way they are being told, that is a different situation. For some reason, I always go against the grain when people talk down to me and treat me poorly. I don't blame people for continuing to apply illegally after being attacked on this site. And yes I am fully licensed and insured.

4. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I also agree to disagree, my biggest problem is that even if I was to turn someone in for treating without a license. The local AG enforcement won't even do anything about it. I guess it takes to much time or they don't have the manpower to constantly chase them down. Really the suppliers are the ones that should be held accountable, they can stop it where the buck starts. If professionals are required to keep an ud dated license on file in order to buy materials we all wouldn't have this problem. And the dept. of Ag. wouldn't have to work as hard chaseing down violators, they could just visit the suppliers once a month and check they're practices. You can't buy a gun without a license why fert., it seems like to me that people continue to pass on the problems to other people. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah :hammerhead: anyway thats only my opinion.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I definately understand the disagreeing viewpoint. I had a call from the DEC the other day (a follow up to a previous disagreement we had that they won) and one of the paragraphs that has to be included in the contract wasn't worded quite right and their lawyers were concerned.

I hate that I am licensed, insured, bonded and do everything I possibly can to protect me, my employees, the customer, the environment and somewhere in there my bottom line and I see MORONS w/o a license or anything skating by without any fear that something is going to happen to them.

I am on the radar and easy to find. They are not. But the enforcment vehicles drive around in the times that none of these guys are applying. It is frustrating. Especially, when they can just call me on a whim and say we are coming down on Thursday have your records ready.

I just get tired of the question of being licensed always being asked and then we have the ensuing bantar about who is rude and who is not. Maybe b/c I just assume that the smart guy asking if he can spray in 40 mph winds and 110 degree heat is not in my area so I don't think that someone without a license is going to get some good info and affect me.

BUT then again I usually don't respond to the ignorant questions b/c I don't feel that deserve my time.

Someone (and you can let me know who) has a tag line that says common sense used to be common. Well it ain't anymore. And a lot of these questions could be answered with just a little bit of thought. What did people do before the net?

And that looks like a response that should be in barnes and noble but anyway....

6. New Green

Maybe we can get a password to get in this forum?? And we can ask the webmaster to have a new area called "Pesticides for Dummies" no password nec. I am sure most of the cutters out there have the book "Grass cutting for Dummies" somewhere in their library. I know these comments are just not nice. But we may be onto something:)

7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

hey i dont care what kind of convoluted logic you want to use, when someone asks something to the effect of what should i apply, what should i charge, and oh yea how much should i put in the tank, being a professional, I get a little miffed at that. I consider it a reckless practice of getting as much as you can from a customer. And i am getting sick of hearing how everyone has to start somewhere. that is a lame argument.
    helping someone out with passing out info on how dimension worked for me or if bifenthrin is better than cygon makes for good help. THAT is what THIS part of the site is for.Sharing info.

8. New Green

Olive no offense, what is your point? If a guy is reckless and asks how much to apply, he never read the label.. And if he has a license, he should not have a license. Most of the TGCL guys know what is on the test before they take it. You are right, there are some real lame questions. Helping out these individuals should be a crime. They should first go back and read the Study Manual, then the Core. Then the label. That is going to be a tough one to explain to the inspector " I mixed it according to a post on the internet"

You seem to share a similar frustration, but then point out the site is for sharing info. I think info. needs to be shared with those that have a liscense and are qualified. JMO

9. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I was just wondering...I recently just got licensed. Since when you are licensed your vehicle is marked with your #'s, are you more likely to be stopped and checked up on than someone with no #'s or name on their truck? Has anyone on here that is licensed and completely legit ever gotten fined for keeping track of paperwork wrong or having the wrong calibration or anything else to that affect? How can the Dept. of Agr. really catch people that are not licensed? Will they pull over if they see someone that has a truck unmarked with a push spreader on someone's lawn? Or would they be more likely to stop if they saw someone with legit license # on their truck and see if they are doing things right? From what I have read on this site, I just get this feeling that when you get licensed, you kinda put more of a bullseye on yourself. Even though I am now licensed, I know that I still have a lot to learn, and it's a sh$%ty feeling that I think that I am more likely to be checked up on, than someone not even caring about being licensed or insured. Sorry for the long post.

Ron

10. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

when you are licenced it gives a pro appearance. I have only been stopped once. The best way to get illegal ops is an invoice or business card with the service they provide, ie pest or weed control. In florida they are doing a good job.