License Renewal - fun

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AAELI, Jun 29, 2006.

1. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I just finished renewing my contractor's specialty license after a 5 year period of not working in the field. You would think the process would be easier than it turned out to be.

I was given the choice of keeping my license # that I have had since 1983 and paying the back years as a penalty, $1400+, or start all over again with retaking tests, getting recommendations, education history, work history, etc. and paying $230 +app. fee of $25 + license card fee of $5.00.

I chose to pay the back fees as penaly. I then spent a day getting clearances from the tax office, public works, Dept. of labor -OSHA,Wage&Hour,Work. Comp.,dept. of land management. I submitted the paperwork along with financial statement only to be informed that I needed to write a letter to the License Board explaining why I did not renew my license the last five years. I will be informed of their decision after the first meeting in which they have a quorum.

I question my sanity at this point. You just gotta love the work to go through the hoops our gov. puts in front of us.

What would you have done???

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Here all you need is 5 dollars and a 20 minute trip to the county clerks office and youre "in business".

3. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Even for a mowing license like that you shell out $40 out here along with having to obtain several clearances. You are limited to less than $999 on any one job, per month. This would be fine except I often do larger jobs than that in one day so that license is inadequate for my business.

Still I cannot see moving elsewhere for a cheaper license. Kind of puts new meaning into business priviledge taxes.:dizzy: