1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

license requirements

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quality Lawn Care, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Quality Lawn Care

Quality Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Some body please tell me what type of license I need, if any, to do grass cutting. I've been cutting grass for 2 seasons now and didn't think a license was needed. I don't do the fert. or weed apps., just mowing. I'm from MN if that matters.
  2. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you're averse to risk, call your local city/township, etc. and ask if you need a business liscense to mow. Often you'll only need one if you're doing hardscape installations for patios/decks, etc. Providing maintenance services shouldn't be regulated. Just make sure you have your insurance in place... and cut away.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Joisy alot of the towns / cities require a license to operate a lawn care op.. I mean just to mow , etc, Check with the towns you work in .. It's the same type of license that they require general contractors, builders, Siders, masons. etc to have....
  4. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

In Florida you need a Occupational License
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Hey neighbor! No you don't need a licence to cut in MN.
  6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

depending upon the city and state you may need to aquire a business(occupants license) just track down your local code enforcement officer. what, scratch that, just go to the city office and apply for one. usually around fifty bucks depending upion the location
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Don't wait til after you throw a rock into the side of that 750 BMW. Here in Jersey, you're playing with fire without some liability insurance....... Hope this helps.